Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Best gasoline?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Oct 2010, 12:42 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Best gasoline?

So far I've taken gas from 4 gas stations in S-Florida.
BP, Exxon Mobile, CITGO,and Chevron.

My experience was similar with another car using premium fuel (Mazda Milena).

I found that BP gasoline lasts upto 20% longer than Chevron gas.

Chevron is at the bottom, but it's gas seems to really increase torq/hpi n my car. Exxon mobile the same.Citgo is inbetween, and BP is on the top.

(With a full tank of exxon/chevron gas I only last 4 to 5 days; with BP 7,5 days; makes a lot of difference I'd say!)

Anyone knows why the difference is so great, and/or has their own experiences to share?
Old 25 Oct 2010, 07:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Best gasoline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
So far I've taken gas from 4 gas stations in S-Florida.
BP, Exxon Mobile, CITGO,and Chevron.

My experience was similar with another car using premium fuel (Mazda Milena).

I found that BP gasoline lasts upto 20% longer than Chevron gas.

Chevron is at the bottom, but it's gas seems to really increase torq/hpi n my car. Exxon mobile the same.Citgo is inbetween, and BP is on the top.

(With a full tank of exxon/chevron gas I only last 4 to 5 days; with BP 7,5 days; makes a lot of difference I'd say!)

Anyone knows why the difference is so great, and/or has their own experiences to share?
Bah, therse no way you get that much use out of different gases. It must be how your driving.
Ive tried many different stations and the results are too minute to notice.
I honestly dont even look at that sign or the price. I need gas, i pull into the next one i see. Ignorant, i know, but i know if i look at the price ill just get mad anyhow
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 08:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to decals_by_jt Send a message via Skype™ to decals_by_jt

agreed..... the only way to test would be to record your mpg (via paper and pencil) for each brand you use... but I doubt you would find more than a tenth of a mpg variance

jT
Old 25 Oct 2010, 09:07 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW

I have to agree that the difference isn't that much but I do get better mileage with BP then any other, sometimes as much as 2mpg. Its a shame that they screwed up the Gulf
Old 25 Oct 2010, 10:20 am
Cool Cruiser

Well, believe it or not, it is the case here in Hialeah FL.
I could not believe it neither.

I've started noticing it, because I have a very fixed route every week. Generally I only go from home to work and back. On the millennia I needed $20 on gas every week, and with BP it would give me some extra. With the other companies, I reach the first bar of gas (empty) after 4 days, I could drive 5 but then I would have no clear view how much I have left in the tank. With Chevron and exxon I needed about $25 per week. It makes a difference to me!
Old 25 Oct 2010, 10:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Around here BP has always been .03-.05 higher than the rest.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 25 Oct 2010, 02:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Different brands of gasoline have various additivies added depending on what part of the country it is being sold in as well as the season.

Gas sold in Minnesota in January will have a different blend than the same brand sold in Florida or California on the same day. What you get in MPG most likely will be totally different than what I get, even using the same brand and grade.

I use mainly Speedway,which I am told by reliable sources is really Marathon. I also use BP at times. I really see no difference, but then I've never reallyy done a MPG check.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 25 Oct 2010, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

down here we have a small station and Id say they probaly get there fuel from Mobil but it does run better in my PT and i buy a LOT of gas caseys will work but it seems like it is slugish may just be me who knows but i go to the smae station every morinig dn i can guess within a 1/2 gallon how much fuel i will need but then I drive 200 miles a day so i guess i should have a good idea
Old 25 Oct 2010, 07:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The best gas I've found is Shell. A little higher but the best. I have tested thier fuel for alcohol content and specific gravity. Their fuel always tests great. Plus it makes my turbo run better. I can run premium from anybody else and i get a fair amount of spark knock. Shell has very little or no spark knock. That's not to say I run Shell all the time. There is an Exxon next door to my work so that's where I usually fill up.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 07:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartyblarfast View Post
The best gas I've found is Shell. A little higher but the best.
You have stations where the gas is actually higher than at others. I haven't seen that in over 15 years up her. It used to be the name brand stations were one price and the off brand a lesser price. Now days every one thinks they are name brand as every station is within one to two cents a gallon in any one area of the city. Funny is that on the west side it can be twenty-five cents a gallon higher than on the east side at times.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324

Tags
gas pump, mileage