PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
REPLACEor REPAIR/RESTORE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Oct 2010, 07:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Utaupia
Question REPLACEor REPAIR/RESTORE

Hi, I thought I posted this, but cannot see it. I have an 02 that I love; I have had many parts repaired or replaced. Got stranded last week after I stopped and it would not start again. Took to mechanic who checked battery and alternator. Did find deep corrosion on cable. Said all was okay. Now I'm nervous. Cannot afford the car I want, so I'd have to get a no-frills cheapie (I would be very unhappy). I am wondering if it is possible or advisable just to spend the money to get a whole new engine + plus other parts? Any advice is appreciated. TY

Last edited by Utaupia; 25 Oct 2010 at 08:01 am. Reason: Added more info
Old 25 Oct 2010, 09:44 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: REPLACEor REPAIR/RESTORE

In the long run, it's always cheaper to stick with what you have. It doesn't feel that way when you are facing a huge repair, but time and time again the math has been done to this result.

I'd say keep what you have and keep saving when you can for the car you REALLY want. Don't settle just to have a newer car - you'll always have regrets...IMHO...
Old 25 Oct 2010, 10:30 am
Regular Cruiser

Unless your annual maintenance costs are very high it almost always pays to drive your older car as long as possible. If you take the time and effort to keep up with the routine maintenance and take care of your car it should last for years. Beats having a monthly car payment. I'm still driving a 13 year old Town & Country Van that has a lot of life left in it.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 10:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utaupia View Post
Hi, I thought I posted this, but cannot see it. I have an 02 that I love; I have had many parts repaired or replaced. Got stranded last week after I stopped and it would not start again. Took to mechanic who checked battery and alternator. Did find deep corrosion on cable. Said all was okay. Now I'm nervous. Cannot afford the car I want, so I'd have to get a no-frills cheapie (I would be very unhappy). I am wondering if it is possible or advisable just to spend the money to get a whole new engine + plus other parts? Any advice is appreciated. TY
Deep corrosion on the battery cables, and even on the battery posts, does not by any means equal a need for an engine. It only means that the battery acid has sloshed around and caused things to corrode. Annual cleaning of the battery and cables would have prevented that. Better still, using an AGM (agglomerated glass mat) battery such as a Dekka or an Odyssey or a sears Diehard Platinum battery will prevent any further corrosion. (I recommend very strongly against Optima batteries, because i do not believe they are as good as they used to be, and my recent experience has been BAD.) Replace the battery cables and connectors and go on.

My brother tends to keep cars long beyond any normal person should. He and I are much the same that way, except he lives where they salt the roads, and I live where the heat causes paint to burn off. One of his cars signified its demise when he opened the door, and he plopped himself into the driver seat, and the seat crashed through the rusted-out floor.

If your PT runs OK after the battery cable was cleaned and replaced, keep on driving and save up your money for your BMW or whatever it is you want.

Tags
can't part with my pt