Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New member and a question! : )

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2010, 10:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New member and a question! : )

Hi! I'm new here - I've been lurking a lot since I first bought my PT Cruiser in mid-September. This site has been very helpful to me, especially since my PT Cruiser is a little loved.

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser Touring Edition. I bought her with approximately 170,200 miles, which is a lot, but they are mostly highway miles so I was less concerned. I am mildly obsessed with my new PT Cruiser, especially since it is my first real vehicle (I moved up from my first ride, a beaten and battered 1993 Honda Civic with nearly 235,000 miles).

I live in Northern Idaho and it has been getting pretty cold these last few weeks, especially in the mornings. I have noticed that my PT Cruiser is not a morning vehicle - she is cranky and occasionally makes some weird noises, especially from the front end. When I turn, sometimes it lets out a squeally hum, which is a little bizarre since it hasn't done it before. I wonder if it has something to do with the power stearing? Also, the front end (engine area, I assume) sounds a little clunky when I accelerate until it is really warmed up, then the noises seem to go away.

I don't use my car for much more than zipping around our small town and maybe in the future occasional trips, but I just want to make sure these don't sound like serious problems. I don't know a whole lot about vehicle maintenance, and even though my PT Cruiser has a pretty spotless record checked out nicely with several mechanics, I am still really paranoid.

I look forward to interacting with all of you and learning more about my new vehicle! I have far too many questions, but luckily have been able to get answers to most of them through just browsing this forum!
Old 28 Oct 2010, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New member and a question! : )

THe squeal sure sounds like Power steering - you can also get a "groan" if you turn wheel all the way. If it's only when cold, that's pretty normal.
Some groans are also normal from bumps - again until car warms up - the rubber bushings are tired....
Welcome to the forums.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Oct 2010, 02:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forum, what QSD said x 2.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 29 Oct 2010, 10:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks! I figured that's what it was, but like I said - I'm pretty paranoid.
Old 29 Oct 2010, 10:47 am
Cool Cruiser

I'd say Don has covered it quite well. Not keeping it in a garage?
How about some kind of plug-in to keep things warm?