Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT starts bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Oct 2010, 01:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy PT starts bad

All the cars I had so far, I've been able to start by pushing the car if the battery was dead.

The battery that came with this car was (I thought) near to it's end so I replaced it with one that is less than 2 years old!
But even now, the engine barely seems to be able to start.

I had once an incident on the road, where I wanted to get out of the way fast for another car, and released the clutch a bit too fast (manual transmission), causing the engine to stop. I ended up being 30 seconds on the street with people waiting for me, horning. This was the longest 30 seconds of my life!!!

I tried and tried to start the car, finally I gave up using both blinkers (the triangle knob); while people drove around me. I decided I might as well tryit another time, before calling the towing company, only this time I got lucky, and got the heck out of there!

Seemingly when having the clutch pressed in, and if the car does not start from the first time, you have to release the clutch, press it in again to do the starting procedures all over. I did not know that. keeping the clutch pedal pressed in while the engine failed to start, will lock the engine(until released; or so)...

Anyways, that was an embarrassing moment...

Should I replace my battery?
Even if it is against the book, I'm thinking of installing a lythium battery, 14V, because seemingly a regular LEAD ACID 12V battery (that was good enough to kickstart a Mazda Milenia V6 in a fraction of a second), wasn't good enough for my PTcruiser of 2003 (non turbo).

Everytime I want to start the car, it seems that the battery barely is able to get the starter start the engine, at times the engine is stopping the starter for almost a whole second before it kicks in (sometimes a second time trying is necessary)!

I checked (measured) the battery, and it is as good as new; I don't think it's an issue of the battery.

I'm not used to this! My previous car, a Mazda milenia, would start within a second.

I also suspect a PT Cruiser is hard to start pushing it...
What will you do if it doesn't start due to a (semi) empty battery?

Last edited by ProDigit; 29 Oct 2010 at 01:58 am.
Old 29 Oct 2010, 02:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: PT starts bad

I think there are two things you should look at.

First is the clutch peddle start lock switch. Sounds like at-least part of your trouble.

Second is the starter.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 29 Oct 2010, 03:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Third : check the cables going to the starter - check the ground.
Fourth : Take the battery cables off, clean them, and re-install making sure they are tight.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Nov 2010, 10:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

There did not seem to be any issues with above mentioned suggestions.

I presume the battery is not powerful enough
Old 03 Nov 2010, 02:20 am
Banned

Before this runs on like your mileage thread, take it to ANY dealer, Autozone, pepboys, favorite mechanic, etc. and have them run a starting system check. Then walk away, knowing exactly what is happening with your car. tirs.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 03 Nov 2010 at 02:35 am.
Old 03 Nov 2010, 02:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for your suggestion!

Tags
battery, start, starter