Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Won't Start With Key - Only With Remote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Oct 2010, 12:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Won't Start With Key - Only With Remote

My wife has an 03 GT Cruiser with an aftermarket remote starter installed by Best Buy about 6 years ago. Three days ago she could not get it to start with the ignition key. However, it starts just fine using the remote. This rules out most common problems such as the battery, starter, etc.

This is the second time this has happened, although it has been two years or so since the last occurance. The last time I took apart the steering column and part of the ignition key unit to see if voltage was being properly sent when the key was turned to start. I checked several things with a multimeter but I didn't really find anything wrong.

In frustration I put everything back together and was going to drive it to a repair shop the next day (still started with the remote). I figured I would try to start it with the key one last time. It started right up and no starting problems since then, 2-3 years ago.

This sounds like the same thing is happening again. I'd rather not have to disassemble everything again if anyone can offer an idea of what might be happening here and suggest an easy fix. Is there some sort of reset for the factory alarm that my wife may have somehow tripped and I cycled the power to some relay or sensor when I had it apart and reset it the last time? I disconnected the battery for a few hours the other night with this idea in mind and reconnected it but it still will not start with the key.

I'm open for suggestions. Thanks.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 01:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Won't Start With Key - Only With Remote

I can't tell you exactly what's wrong but whenever an aftermarket electronic gizmo is added to the OEM electronics, that's the first thing to check when something doesn't work right, and it's usually that added part that's the problem.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 11:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Won't Start With Key - Only With Remote

Well, it is now fixed once again. Today, after I'd had the battery disconnected for 3 days, I hooked it back up. I had a brainstorm about trying the spare ignition key to start it if perhaps the chip in the key she's been using went crazy or something. I tried it and it started right up. I then tried the same thing with the key that failed to start it the other day. It also started right up.

I dunno - I had the battery disconnected for several days so maybe some capacitor finally discharged and reset whatever was locked up. I just hope it stays working for one more year since she says she wants to get a Wranger for her midlife crisis.

Thanks for the reply.