Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power steering problem..pls help:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Oct 2010, 08:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Power steering problem..pls help:

Hi all..This is my first thread on this forum and it is unfortunate it is regarding a problem that has developed on my 2006 pt cruiser. It was running just fine till today afternoon.I parked the car and a short time later when i turned it on..the steering would not move one bit..No lights are coming up on the instrument panel..i tried to reverse the car and then drive it forward ,still no change.. its too hard to even move it a little bit.. i checked the power steering fluid ,though i do see some fluid in it, the lid just has marking of hot/cold on it and no gauze to actually tell if the levels are low. If some one ever had a similar problem ,pls suggest what might be the problem. And please please tell me its not going to be a costly affair!!!! The car is not under any warranty. Pls reply at the earliest. Thanks and god bless.
Old 01 Nov 2010, 01:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Power steering problem..pls help:

Let me get this right? The steering wheel doesn't move even a tiny bit?

If so, it's not a power steering problem. It sounds like your steering wheel has somehow locked up? Even with the power steering busted, you should be able to move the steering wheel (it's not very easy--but it should move).

Tim
Old 01 Nov 2010, 10:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

HI mdfrodo..thanks for the reply..my fault..let me correct myself..it does move,but just a little bit..just a few degrees and it takes a LOT of power to get it to turn at a corner...sorry about my previous message not being too specific.thanks again.
Old 01 Nov 2010, 11:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Broken belt!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 01 Nov 2010, 12:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The power steering pump failure will not give a fault code. There's been several pump failures (mine included) that happened all at once while driving making it almost impossible to steer and no failure light.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Nov 2010, 03:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just encountered an intermittent problem with the power steering on my 2001 PT. They tried a new belt and flushing the power steering fluid. This did not fix the problem. The mechanic found a service bulletin that referenced a problem with the screen filter in the power steering reservoir getting clogged and causing the power steering to stop working. The screen filter is built into the reservior so they had to replaced the power steering reservoir for $196.00. This was done 3 days ago and seems to have fixed the problem.
Old 01 Nov 2010, 05:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Look at the suggestions given above. And still, I'm a bit confused. You say you can only turn the wheel a few degrees. If so, how do you manage to turn a corner with just a "few" degrees turning radius?

I'll assume that if you can turn a corner (with a lot of effort) then you have more than a few degrees. That said, the suggestions given by the above posters should get you going in the right direction.

Check the belt, the fluid level. Maybe you have a clogged screen like the above poster mentioned. If you can turn enough to go round a corner--but with a lot of effort--then I'd have the car towed to a mechanic who can fix it for you. It does, in fact, sound like the power steering system. Crewzin has spoken previously about losing his power steering while going round a corner, and the story is not a "reasonably safe driving" story. So--get the car towed--and fixed.

Tim
Old 03 Nov 2010, 12:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The one thing that seems off on my 06 is that when it's cold, the power steering is "growly", reminds me of later 80's Ford noisy ps systems. Once the car warms up, it's fine. -Adam
Old 03 Nov 2010, 06:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

That is why I freshen the PS Fluid up a couple times a year, in the case of the PT which takes ATf, synthetic ATF will help prevent issues.

How many people bother to either change the fluid or suction some out of the reservoir a couple times a year to keep it cleaner and replenish the additives?

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 08 Nov 2010, 09:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had a similar problem with my 01 Grand Caravan, the steering didn't stop working,but, at parking lot speeds the steering would "shutter"...it turned out to be that filter in the power steering reservous. I replaced it with a new one $38.00 and it has been fine since about a yr ago.