Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 Convertible Keyed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2010, 12:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 Convertible Keyed

My 06 Silver GT turbo was keyed from the front headlight to the rear taillight on both sides. Thinking of a 2 tone paint job. Any Ideas out there I could look at.
Thanks PaulieG
Old 03 Nov 2010, 01:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 06 Convertible Keyed

Wow - really sorry to hear this!!! Sometimes people can be so ignorant...
Old 03 Nov 2010, 01:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry to hear that. Here's one I always liked.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Nov 2010, 01:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ha! I have this car as my background at work - thought it would be an easy mod to my black '05 vert someday... I really love the shade of red - a touch on the orange side - like a tomato red... Great looking car!!!
Old 03 Nov 2010, 01:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. I've seen this car but I don't want to paint the top which is now silver. Thinking of a darker silver bottom.
Thanks again
Old 03 Nov 2010, 04:48 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: 06 Convertible Keyed

Hey their PaulieG,

Its kinda a bit of a wide open question on a good color for two tone. Especially if you are going to stay with your OEM Silver as the top color, you already have a good start with a neutral hue, so the sky is pretty much he limit. You could go with a darker Silver like you had mentioned and do a subtle approach, or you can go bold with a serious splash of color. It all depends on what you want to do.

Just remember like for the damage caused by getting keyed, your talking about something in the neighborhood cost wise of a $200.00 - $350.00 repair, as where a two tone paint job, your looking at an easy $1500.00 and up depending on what you want, and how you want it. A couple of quick things when doing a two tone, if you want to do things the right way, you should make sure the Paint Shop knows to finish the second tone inside the door jambs, as well as the trunk. Otherwise it will look cheap, and unfinished big time. Also when choosing a color combination, usually I try to steer Customers away from going with two light colors as it usually throws off the contrast, and just winds up looking a bit boring somewhat. Of course no matter what, you can always opt to add to add something to the paint to make it pop a bit more anyway, so its all up to what you want.

Then the last thing you should keep in mind would be, in most cases, you really should have some sort of a break between the two tones to help break things up. This can be a simple pin stripe, or graphic, to you name it.

The following are a few examples to kinda give you some ideas of what I am trying to describe. This first pic is of a nice color break. Notice how the darker yellow has a nice clean dip which lows nicely with the fender line. You can then follow that up with a nice pin stripe, or drop shaddow, and have a nice, really clean look.

Next, here is a good example of a bold "Kandy" Blue against your now neutral Factory Silver. To me, I like having a nice bold color to contrast, but that is me. This is just an up close of the graphic so you can get a better feel for the color. This PT was actually done in a Tribal Flame with 9 different Tiki Heads all air brushed throughout the layout for a Hawaiian Theme. This PT also received a full custom Interior in Grey Leather over matching Blue Suede. Anyways, on to the Pic.

And then last but not least, like I had mentioned earlier, you can opt to go with a more subtle color which is fine. I would maybe liven in=t up more though by maybe adding some pearl, or something to make it stand out more. Their are several cool custom paint tricks you can do to get various effects like using your silver as a base color on the bottom tone, and then blend into a Pearl Candy color of your choice as you make your way down the body line, or anything. I mean it is only limited by your imagination! Here is a good example of a subtle pearl orange over a black two tone on a Vert with a simple transition from the grill down the body line.

Those are a few thoughts on it anyways, if you would like any more info, or advice, and so forth on any custom paint and so on, please feel free to look me up anytime, and I am always more than happy to try to help wherever I can.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 04 Nov 2010, 08:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks a lot. I like the bottom one best. Thinking of using a dark metal charcoal with a red stripe to seperate and maybe adding redline tires. Can't go to crazy as I am 63 and my wife won't ride in the car. As it is she won't ride in my 78 Corvette Indy Pace car with all the decals on it. So I have to tone this one down a bit. Thanks Again PaulieG
Old 04 Nov 2010, 03:03 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: 06 Convertible Keyed

Hey their PaulieG,

No problem! This is the kind of stuff I love to do! Sounds like you have a good plan in place as well. Just remember to get enough of a contrast between lighter and darker shades so you can clearly see a enough of a difference to make it worth all of the effort.

Here is an example of a very subtle two tone with a darker charcoal color on the bottom separated by a smoke graphic. The effect is really cool, but very, very subtle, almost a hair too subdued for me.

Even though I am usually set against going light color, over light color on a Two Tone, here is a VW Bug I built for a Friend of mine a while back which has a bit better contrast. It is Mitsubishi Silver over a 3 Stage OEM Cadillac Pearl White. Anyway here are a couple of quick pic's of the color.

Here is also the same example of that last PT in Silver over Black instead of the Orange.

It sounds like you have a good working plan though. That is key to a good design.

One Two Tone that I have been keeping in the back of my mind for some time but have never really gotten too much into as of yet would be something like this.

Pretty much think simple clean tribute to a throw back Hemi Cuda, or Challenger kind of traditional Muscle Car styling on a PT. Its not too overbearing, not as my Father would put it, "A Kids Car" which I totally understand would be of concern to you and your loving Wife, and would really be a cool and totally unique look that nobody so far has done to a PT ever.

I would do Satin Black as the top tone, then do either a Candy Cobalt Blue, or Candy deep Brandywine from the body line to where the Door Spears are, or even possibly a traditional Muscle Car color like Limetime Green, (you get the idea) and then go back to the Satin Black on the bottom. I would use a good metallic silver as my base to set the Candy Paint off nice and clean, and provide just enough color to not be overstated on the vehicle.

Then if you wanted, you could start maybe carrying a little muscle car kind of theme to it, and have some fun with the car. For example, you could get some very inexpensive PVC Pipe, sand it, and spray it with a Bed Liner Coating from either Lowes, or Home Depot, and easily construct what would appear to be the makings of a Roll Care around your Trunk area. Then they make these really cool looking Speaker Tubes which are custom designed to resemble realistic NOS Bottles that can be mounted in your trunk for an added effect as well. Here is a Pic.

My point is, if your going to go to all the work of doing a Custom Two Tone Paint Job, why not have some fun? Their are so many way cool Clubs, PT Shows, and much more around! So much you can do to a PT to make it your own, add your own personality, your own hobby to it! Take a look at my PT Photo Archive. It is stuffed full of Photos of PT's done up in every way imaginable weather it be old school, or a Woody, or anything and everything in between. Just click on the Menu and enjoy pages of photos and ideas.

That's just a few thoughts anyways. I would have fun with it! You don't need to go crazy, but have some fun!

That is my take on it for what its worth anyway. Sorry, I kinda get all caught up in it, but you can just have such a blast with a PT big time!

At any rate, please check out my Photo Archive Link at the bottom of this Post, enjoy, and who knows, maybe you just might find some good inspiration in there somewhere to help you on your way with your PT!

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 04 Nov 2010 at 03:13 pm.