Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
jacking up my PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Nov 2010, 04:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default jacking up my PT

Bought my PT a few months ago, it's time to change oil, and I plan to replace brake pads next spring.

I saw a good deal of jack and jack stands in O'Reilly. I never used a jack before, so I am wondering where I should put the jack to lift my PT, and where I should put the sands to support it.

I know this is a naive question, but I am a new guy.

Thank you very much.
Old 03 Nov 2010, 04:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: jacking up my PT

Hopefully you have a Owners Manual, in it, it shows a triangle "notch" behind the front wheel and in front of the rear wheel. The jack can be placed at that point or near and the jack stands placed somewhere near that jacking point. That is what I do with jack & jack stands.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 03 Nov 2010, 11:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

like he said put it where the normal jack would go it will work great and a floor jack is suck a nice toy to have
Old 04 Nov 2010, 11:43 am
Banned

Sorry, but someone has to say this. I applaud your wanting to take a hands approach to your PT, but by your own admittion "I've never used a jack before". So not only have you never changed your own oil, but you've never used a jack before. Using the tire jack that came with the car to allow you to crawl under the car to change the oil is completely out of the question! That means that you will have to buy a GOOD hydraulic floor jack (not cheap, talk to sales person about quality) and use it "correctly". You also will need a set of GOOD jack stands (again, talk to the sales person). There will be other responces here shortly telling you to buy a good set of ramps,. The problem with that is if you don't have the bacis skills that would allow to properly use a jack then there is a distinct possability that you may not get the ramps lined up right and the car will slide off to one side or the other. You will then have at least one of the ramps trapped under the car having done who knows how much damage to the undercarriage.

In short, at your skill level, Jiffy lube may be your best friend at this point. If you decide to do this yourself, have a friend (preferably an experienced one) with you to assist this first time around. In this case two heads are REALLY better than one.

Jerry
Old 04 Nov 2010, 12:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yeah, I have to echo this also. We have all been new at this stuff at some point, so kudos to you for asking!!! A family friend named Kyle jacked up a car and climbed under it, only to have the jack tip and fall on him. He was crushed and killed!!!
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take this seriously and use caution. We all think it will never happen to us - so did Kyle!!! Try to get some assistance from an experienced friend the first couple of times until you are comfortable (AND SAFE!!) on your own...
Old 04 Nov 2010, 12:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

edb, we all have to start somewhere. First off, find your owner's manual--and read it thoroughly. Then go down and buy a Hayne's Manual for your car. They're fairly cheap. Read the parts that you're going to work on.

As far as jacking goes, jacking the car up is fairly easy. Unfortunately, the car's ability to fall off the jack is also easy. Have a friend there with you the whole time.

Put the car in Park (or first gear); pull up on the emergency brake handle so it's nice and tight. Now go to the opposite side of the car that you'll be jacking up. Place a chunk of wood on either side of the rear tire, to keep the car from rolling off the jack, once the car is up. Do this even though you put the car in gear and applied the brake. Do not jack the car very high--for changing oil. Just enough to get under the car. Make sure you use jackstands--DON'T RELY ON THE JACK ALONE TO SAVE YOUR BUTT. Make sure the jackstands are getting a good bite on the area under the side of the car where you're jacking. I use the jack that came with the car--and place the jackstand next to it (but only in the "jacking" area that is reinforced).

You need the right tools for the job. You also need to know about torque.

Most of all, you need an older individual to show you the ropes.

Listen to me. Most of us have the oil changed at Jiffy Lube, etc. The job is messy, you have to buy the right oil and filter. You have to dispose of the oil at a proper recycling facility (this is a must). And, guess what? You're only saving a few bucks by doing the job yourself!

Get a Hayne's Manual--and get the education it will show you. Read the book from the first page (it teaches you about all kinds of things related to car mechanics). Gain that knowledge. Get someone experienced to help you. Then watch and learn. Then you can say, "It's good to be the king!"

Tim
Old 04 Nov 2010, 02:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

First, I want to thank everybody for advices.
Actually, I have some experiences. In the last few years, I used my friend's ramp to change oil for my HHR.

But now, after adding a PT, there will be more oil changing, and some other work, so I figure I need to buy a pair of ramps. But I saw the deal of $29.99 for a floor jack and a pair of jack stands from O'Reilly, and am thinking of buying them instead.
Old 04 Nov 2010, 06:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb View Post
But now, after adding a PT, there will be more oil changing, and some other work, so I figure I need to buy a pair of ramps. But I saw the deal of $29.99 for a floor jack and a pair of jack stands from O'Reilly, and am thinking of buying them instead.
The idea of a $30 jack scares me, much less a set! Typically, a decent jack from somewhere like Northern tool is around $100 last time I checked, and stands aren't the place to save money either! I have a pair I inherited from my dad, and bought a pair from Western Auto I think, both are made of welded angle iron, thick stuff! I remeber my dad doing side jobs on cars in the garage, and he had a cheap set of ramps fail! Luckily, he wasn't hurt, but he went out and bought a good pair from Sears after that!
Old 04 Nov 2010, 06:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Have a friend there with you the whole time.
Best advice in this thread. Even if everything is correct and something goes wrong, at least help is there.

Years ago at a local junkyard i went to a lot (you could roam around and pull anything you wanted off junkers) somebody the weekend before i went, tried to pull a transmission out by his self using the old fashioned bumper jacks.

When he jerked on the trans, jacks kicked out and car landed on him. With no one around to help, he died from car sitting on his chest. Not long after this the junkyard closed down due to insurance and now theres none anywhere like the good old days due to this.
Old 05 Nov 2010, 02:38 am
Senior Cruiser

To be honest, I can't imagine trying to drive the front of my PT onto a pair of movable ramps. I mean, how much room do you need to slide under the car to change the oil, that the stock jack and a pair of jackstands won't provide? But that's just me.

I prefer the stock jack because it doesn't rely on hydralic seals to stay in position. The bad part is when using a stock jack, it's easy to wrench on the car--and scootch the car off the jack--but that's why you also use jack stands.

Good luck.

Tim