PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 pt cruiser gearstick problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Nov 2010, 08:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default 2003 pt cruiser gearstick problems

Hi,
I have a 2003 pt cruiser, it has some gear stick problems.
Something happened inside my engine and my gearstick now is moving freely (without getting into a gear).

I looked inside the engine, and there's a rod (directly connected to the gear stick), with an O-ring. Within that O-ring there supposed to be a rubber which seemingly totally wore out, and fell through the O-ring.
There's another rod with a small thing sticking up inside the O-ring of the gear stick rod.
When I disconnect the rods, the gearstick is loose. When I try to squish some tape in there to hold them together, the gearstick works, but is hard to control.
The tape is not holding enough to keep it that way, but perhaps it'll hold to the next dealer/garage.

I know it's the small piece of rubber within the O-ring that's missing.
Probably a $2-$5 value rubber.

My engine is a little bit different than foto below, but the stick is located somewhere there,under the air filter:

And looks a little like this quick paint draw I made:

I need to find a place in South Florida, Miami where I can get this fixed.
They don't seem to be able to order it from advanced auto parts, so I'm kind of stuck with what to do...

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 05 Nov 2010, 07:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 pt cruiser gearstick problems

ProDigit,

I'm sure that piece your looking for will only be available at the dealer. Did you try asking at the parts counter at the dealer to look it up and ordering you one? Looks like a simple fix if you had the part probably done without a mechanic. Even if you find a mechanic, he's have to order the part but if that's the way you want to go,
i'd get hold of the local club of South Florida and ask for recommendations of a trusted mechanic. They should be well established and know where to go. Here's the link.

Cruisers of South Florida

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 05 Nov 2010 at 07:55 am.
Old 05 Nov 2010, 03:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yes, the dealer says they have to replace the whole cable system which costs $180 plus hours!

The rubber I need is a good $6 item, but they don't sell them separate.
I'm looking for an aftermarket solution!
Old 05 Nov 2010, 06:37 pm
Young Cruiser

rockauto.com has the bushings or you can get booger bushings from boogerracing.com <--- not sure on the spelling. I too had this problem and ended up putting "hitch pins" on mine for a temporary fix
Old 05 Nov 2010, 08:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

booger bushings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ftw!!!!
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 06 Nov 2010, 10:58 am
Cool Cruiser

Thank you very much guys!
I only needed one bushing, they are sending me 4. But the $22 is much better than the $180 they are charging me for the whole wire thing from my local dealer!
I figured a bushing should cost no more than $5 to $6; and seems I was right.

At the moment I glued a cardboard bushing together with industrial glue, it's holding it's own for the moment, but probably in a week or 3 I will need another!

Thanks again guys!
Old 07 Nov 2010, 08:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to partyd

i cut half of the bushing from my old lower control arm use a metal ring and a litle pin in the midle i drill a small hole

30 minutes of work and cost me nothing 2 years later and still working
back them dealer ask me $400.00 for the cable and labor
this happends to our 5 speed vehicles and dodge neons all the time
2008 Chrysler Pacifica awd
Old 08 Nov 2010, 01:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

It's just scandalous, and then you wonder why the mechanics are sitting in chairs without work, and business isn't going well.

You're paying not only the mechanics, but also the service personnel.

I was expecting a simple, 1 hour job to be done on my car for about $150. They gave me a $330 price!
It's outrageous, especially to know that I need to work for more than 1 week (parttime) so I can pay a 1 hour job in the car mechanic! I never go to the dealer again!
May they all burn! I'll go to a local garage which charges me fair prices; and even if it's an inconvenience to me, I'd rather do simple things myself.
Old 09 Nov 2010, 10:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

PS, if you have the same issue with a broken rubber bushing, you don't need to get a $180 replacement parts, and another $100-150 on working hours,

If you need one urgently, (and can't wait for a shipment), you can cut a little strip of 10mm width of cardboard (like that of a cereal box), apply glue on one side, roll it up around a thin axis (5mm), until you have a small roll ~10mm in diameter.
Apply the outter layer with a single piece of regular office duct tape (~8-10cm in length), long enough so the tape can overlap.
Then fit it in the hole.
It'd be perfect if it fits snugly in the hole (with a little forcing).

Then apply a small cardboard plate (not on the pic) on top of it. It'll seal the ring, and hook behind the small steel tip in the center.

A 15 minutes job, and about $1 worth on material; it should endure for many operating hours; if not a few years!

Last edited by ProDigit; 09 Nov 2010 at 11:00 pm.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 05:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

OK, Bushings arrived!!

I installed them, they popped in pretty easily!
I notice the gearstick responds a little stiffer (as the previous rubber damped the stick a bit better).

Not bad for a $22 purchase, though I would have preferred to pay only $6 for one (and get it shipped by free ground shipping), instead of $22 for 4.

In the package are 1 large bushing for the manual gearstick, and 3 smaller ones I don't know what for.