Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
our "new" 2001 Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2010, 12:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default our "new" 2001 Cruiser

We just bought it today for my daughter to drive. A "friend" proceeded to tell me how she knew two people who owned Cruisers and how they were crappy cars. It was like: why are you raining on my parade the first day we buy this car? It seems to be well cared for, has less than 100K miles on it and the previous owner said it didn't have any issues. Are we going to live to regret this purchase or is my "friend" just being a black cloud of doom?
Old 05 Nov 2010, 02:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: our "new" 2001 Cruiser

Lachase, put the key in the ignition and drive your PT. Put in an old Beach Boys CD and drive your car. Do the proper maintenance in a timely manner--and drive the car.

This last (I read this in an old VW manual):

Take car of your ass and it will be more likely to bear you ....

Tim
Old 05 Nov 2010, 04:34 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: our "new" 2001 Cruiser

Hey their lachase,

The PT is a great car! I know of many, many people who have driven their PT will past 150,000 miles or more, with the all time record being a good friend of mine who put more than 280,000 miles on his! Some people like to hate the PT for some reason, but I myself love mine and would never give it up, and I would like to think most Everyone here feels the same way! When I first bought my PT it was just a cool car, but then I got into the Community, met tons of great long time Friends, joined several all PT Clubs, and have even gone to several Annual All PT Events which they have in several places across the US. A good example was the Annual PT River Run in Laughlin Nevada last year which drew in over 350 PT's from all over for a four day Event of fun! The they have Cruise the Rockies, Return to the Beach, and many more great PT Shows to check in to! For more PT Goodness, just click on my Link at the bottom of Signature at the bottom of all of my Posts and click on my PT Photo Archives. There I have Photo's of just about every kind of cool PT you can think of! Just choose a Category, kick back, and enjoy.

Of course with any car comes some amount of upkeep to keep everything running properly, and the PT has some things that do need to be done as part of its maintenance at certain intervals. In your case, hopefully this may have already been taken care of in advance, but somewhere around 100,000 - 120,000 miles your PT (if it hasn't already gotten one) will need a new Timing Chain, at which time you will also need to replace your Water Pump. This happens on all PT's around the same time, is a significant fix, and can run you between $800.00 - $1000.00 and up for parts and labor to repair.

I would also recommend just as general maintenance, as you may not know when it was done last, I would go ahead and service the Transmission with new fluid, and filter, change the oil (a lot of people here like to run Mobile1 Synthetic Oil), and possibly change your Air Filter to maybe a drop in K&N Washable Filter.

If at some point the PT starts to idle a little rough, it may need a set of Plugs and Wires which again most people run LiveWires which are upgraded Wires that work well, and are recommended for the PT, and other than that, you should be good to go.

If most anything else goes wrong, breaks off, you ever want to modify, or anything and everything in between, we have most likely discussed it, covered it, or can help you fix it no problem!

This Forum is honestly full of a lot of truly great long time Members who have owned their PT's forever, and are always more than helpful whenever anyone is in need of help anytime, so if anything does by chance ever happen to your PT, please don't hesitate to post here and someone hopefully should be able to help you figure it out.

And then of course if your Daughter ever needs any friendly and helpful advice on any custom paint work, custom interior, audio/video, lowering, and all that way cool stuff, I would be more than happy to show here where she can spend your money at in no time! Okay, I'm just kidding, or am I???

Now how can anybody say that ain't cool?

Anyways, again if you have any questions, problems, or pretty much anything, please let us know, and we would be more than happy to help out anytime!

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 05 Nov 2010, 07:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Take car of your ass and it will be more likely to bear you ....
Great advice ....I think, but I'd more likely take Candymans recommendations.

Hopefully you had the car looked at top and bottom by a mechanic because any used car is a gamble unless you personally knew the last owner. Like Candyman said, general routine maintenance will keep your daughter happy for lots of miles.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Nov 2010, 10:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I love mine... The first one got totaled... and I replaced it with another and never thought of buying anything different when I was looking.
Old 05 Nov 2010, 12:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

We are on our Third one so far.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Nov 2010, 05:41 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I am on my second one now and my wife also has one,so 3 in all.These are great cars if you keep them up properly.
Old 06 Nov 2010, 11:37 am
Cool Cruiser

I bought my pt cruzzy 2003 second hand with 100K miles on it.
I know I could drive at least another 50K miles with it, or in my case, 4 to 5 years.
and for the price that was a good deal.

I had minor issues (changing light bulb, changing a bushing, changing a small part in the back of the reserve tire that broke off, some bolts on the wheels), total less than $500 of costs (hours and taxes included), much of which I could do myself (so probably $300 on small repairs).

Like you my engine was good taken care of,and I thoroughly enjoy mine!

The reason most people get rid of their PT cruizers, is because Chrysler generally has scedules of upto 90 or 99k miles for maintenance, after which they generally recommend a large maintenance every 6k miles or so... At least that's what my dealer told me.
But that does not scare me, I just give it a full checkup every year, to every year and a half, for every 6-10k miles and I'll be fine.

Right this week my windshield sprayer pump broke, the previous owner must have tried to use it too much with the spray nozzles being clogged.

I love my PT cruiser, but I hate the maintenance on it. Most simple tasks are hard to do!
Chrysler made sure you have to visit them often, and that the common leek won't be able to repair much of anything on the car, and pay a big buck on service hours; unless you can live with smaller issues (like in my case, I just take a spray bottle of glass cleaner with me in the trunk, and clean the window when I need to, until I get a new pump).
Old 06 Nov 2010, 10:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: our "new" 2001 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
We are on our Third one so far.
Going for my third one next week!
Only problem with the first two, was a clutch went out on soonercruiser.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!