Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hatch in cold weather and Squeaking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2010, 02:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Hatch in cold weather and Squeaking

Hi, I got some good advice here before, so I'm back.

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser. When the weather is colder, the hatchback won't stay up. It's tricky getting the groceries in and out, ha. Is this a common problem, and what does it take to fix this? This has been happening for years, but I'm ready to do something about it.

Also, recently (even before it got cold) I noticed the car squeaks when I'm traveling over uneven ground. I never noticed this before. I admit, I'm not exactly sure what a lube job is, but is that what it needs? Sure sounds like it needs some oil to stop the squeaking. I'm not sure exactly where the noise is coming from, but it sounds like it's underneath the car.

Sorry for my ignorance, and thanks for your forthcoming advice!

Kathy
Old 06 Nov 2010, 06:52 am
Banned

Default Re: Hatch in cold weather and Squeaking

Your PT is now seven years old and as with ANY car that has reached that age things will start to wear out. You can take it to the dealer or your favorite mechanic to replace the hatch struts or buy replacement struts from your favorite parts store and replace them yourself.

It's much safer to have a second person with you during this process, to hold up the side of the hatch while each strut is removed and replaced.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 06 Nov 2010 at 06:55 am.
Old 06 Nov 2010, 07:18 am
Banned

Also, about the squeek, The next time you have the oil changed have them do a visual check of all the rubber and plastic front and rear suspension joints and at the very least spray lube them. They will be able to tell you if any are worn enough to warrent replacing. As with any repair recommendation, get a second (and possibly third) opinion to verify the work is needed and to compare costs.

Another moving (shifting) part under your PT is the exhaust. They can check and spray its rubber hangers while they're doing the others.

Also make sure your spare tire cage is tight and you might have them spray all the contact (cage and tire to body) points while they are under there.

Jerry
Old 06 Nov 2010, 09:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, Jerry! Hatch struts, huh? I'll google it. What's a good price for a strut?
Old 06 Nov 2010, 02:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyh1031 View Post
Thanks, Jerry! Hatch struts, huh? I'll google it. What's a good price for a strut?
Looking at RockAuto I see the price ranges about 17 to 28 bucks per strut.
Old 06 Nov 2010, 07:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Kath, I have a 2003 Limited PT--and the hatchback struts have gotten progressively worse over the years. It used to have to get very cold for them not to work, but now they just don't keep the door up, even when it's in the 60's.

I'm going to replace mine also. I think the 2003 struts must have been the worst year for this, cause no one else has mentioned this problem on this forum except me (a few weeks ago).

I'll try Rock Auto for replacements like the last poster mentioned.

Or ... we could just wear helments when shopping ...

Tim
Old 06 Nov 2010, 09:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: Hatch in cold weather and Squeaking

A helmet would have come in handy a couple of times when I wasn't paying close enough attention!

Tags
cold, hatch, hatchback, lube, squeak