Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Misfire issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Nov 2010, 08:48 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Misfire issue

I know the cheap plug wires have been covered on here many times,but I thought it was really just an issue with cars that had some mileage on them.I bought mine brand new 6 weeks ago and it seems to have the same problem.When I start my car for the first time of the day it shudders for about a minute and then levels out.When I am driving it almost feels like it misshifts between 1st and 2ng gear.I am assuming this is also due to the plug wires.My point is,since this is such a common issue shouldnt Chrysler upgrade the plug wires under warranty.I shouldnt have to pay to make my new car run the way a new car should just because they were too cheap to do it right when they built the car.I will be taking the car in for it's first oil change in about a week.Should I mention this or will I be wasting my time?

Last edited by SCBluePT; 07 Nov 2010 at 09:39 am.
Old 07 Nov 2010, 09:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Misfire issue

Yes, mention it to the service manager and if it's under any kind of warranty, they should run a diagnostic at their time and expense and if it points to the wires or plugs, they should replace them.

The original wires are crap but should last a lot longer than what your saying. Anything coming from the factory can be defective so maybe you got one right out of the box that had a bad part.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Nov 2010, 09:20 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Yes, mention it to the service manager and if it's under any kind of warranty, they should run a diagnostic at their time and expense and if it points to the wires or plugs, they should replace them.

The original wires are crap but should last a lot longer than what your saying. Anything coming from the factory can be defective so maybe you got one right out of the box that had a bad part.
It's definately under warranty.It only has 2600 miles on it.I have not had any warning lights come on so will the diagnostic show anything?It only does the shuddering on cold starts.
Old 07 Nov 2010, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sure the diagnostic will run tests of the ignition and electrical system and can pinpoint a bad wire or spark plug or anything wrong in the electrical system in case there's some sort of short that causing your problem.

The warning/engine light you get on the dash will light up on hundreds of different things but there's still lots of problems and intermittent faults that won't set the light off.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 10:33 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Well,I took it in this morning.They told me that I could leave it with them overnight so they can start it in the morning.The problem with that is the car does not do it every day.It actually seems to be doing this less as I break it in so I am just going to keep driving it and hope it goes away.

My steering wheel is also a little off to the left when going straight.Instead of the steering wheel spokes being at 9 and 3 oclock it's more like 8 and 2 so not bad but not straight either.The service tech adjusted the air pressure and said that fixed the problem.But,it is still off to the left so they are going to check the alignment next Monday.The car does not pull to one side or the other when I let go of the wheel so it seems more like the steering wheel needs to be straightened.

Last edited by SCBluePT; 15 Nov 2010 at 10:36 am.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 10:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, your right, if the steering wheel isn't exactly straight when the alignment is done, the wheel will be off from that point on...until the next alignment.

Too bad they couldn't correct the shuttering, but yes, if it only happens when it's cold, it may have to be in that condition to find the fault. If it's getting better by itself, maybe it will go away altogether in a little while, or get worse as winter comes along.

Old 15 Nov 2010, 10:52 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Yes, your right, if the steering wheel isn't exactly straight when the alignment is done, the wheel will be off from that point on...until the next alignment.

Too bad they couldn't correct the shuttering, but yes, if it only happens when it's cold, it may have to be in that condition to find the fault. If it's getting better by itself, maybe it will go away altogether in a little while, or get worse as winter comes along.
It actually seems to be getting better with the colder weather.It has only done it once in the last week and a half.That was this morning.When I start the car it goes up to about 1400 RPM's but once the RPM's start to drop that's when it shudders.It's almost like the choke or idle control valve or whatever these cars have is letting off too fast.

Last edited by SCBluePT; 15 Nov 2010 at 10:54 am.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 11:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

What the PT has is an IAC Idle Air Controller attached to the throttle body and with older cars I usually suggest taking it off and either cleaning it or thorwing a new one on but since yours is still new, stick with the warranty fix.

The IAC is controlled by sensors and the computer so any one of them could be at fault. If you want to do anything, try taking off the electrical control of the IAC and making sure it has good contact and if the dealer hasn't done it, take the battery cable off for a few minutes to reset the computer.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 15 Nov 2010 at 11:29 am.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 11:27 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I got the car aligned this morning and all is good now.Happy cruisin once again.
Old 03 Dec 2010, 03:04 am
Cool Cruiser

hey blue, living in alaska is pretty cold up here for me, i find that somtimes the cold trips my engine light, other days it dosent, but it defenetly dosent like the cold for me and i got a 2006, my autostart comes in handy so when im getting dressed i turn the car on from inside and usualy when its warmed up the stuttering goes away.