PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Crank Sensor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2010, 02:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Crank Sensor

Well it wasn't long ago that I replaced the crank position sensor. Now I have a light again and says a P340 cam position sensor. I had been noticing a smell inside like an exhaust leak and finally the light came on and it ran bad. Well today as I was checking out the sensor I noticed my oil install cap was off. I found it buried down in the motor and put it back on. I think that fixed the smell inside the car but I wonder if it could have anything to do with the cam position sensor light coming on? I don't see how but with these electric cars I'm not sure of anything. I went and got a new sensor today but I haven't put it on yet. I just took it for a ride and it runs fine now but it did that with the crank position sensor too, fine one time and not the next. I have a Car Chip OBII reader and it just will not sense trouble codes on the PT. Will on everything else I own but not it. It will log the miles, mph etc but not trouble codes and will not turn out the engine light .. I guess I'll replace the sensor just to make sure. ... I mean it's not that expensive ..
Old 10 Nov 2010, 05:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Crank Sensor

Before replacing it, take off the negative battery cable for 5 minutes. That should clear the fault code from the computer. Then drive it to see if the light comes on again. If it does, then replace the sensor.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 10 Nov 2010, 06:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Crank Sensor

I'm still finding my way around my PT that I got about 3 wks ago. I have a "bit" of a problem and wonder if it may be the crank sensor? At a steady speed with the cruise set, now and then the engine seems to "surge" a bit; I "had" a small hesitation off idle,but, that cleared up after a can of Sea Foam. it has 205,000 KM on the clock. Other than that it seems to run fine.. with lots of power.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 01:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Crank Sensor

I just went ahead & changed it Cruiser. No more than it cost it was probably about due anyway since I already did the crank sensor the other day. Done deal..