PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Knocking in front end.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Nov 2010, 12:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Knocking in front end.

Have a knocking sound developing in the front end of my 2005 HO PT Cruiser Convertable. Not the sound one would look toward the front end being out of alignment (tires have no unusual wear) or one coming from the engine. Almost the sound as if it was coming from one of the drive shafts yet neither have any play in them that I can tell. It has over 169,000 miles. Any idea what it could be?
Old 25 Nov 2010, 11:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Knocking in front end.

Describe the conditions where you hear it. Hitting a bump? Turning left? Turning right? Accelerating? Stopping? Slowing? All the time? Running over armadillos but not opossums?
Old 25 Nov 2010, 11:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you take a good look at the bushing around the front end? At that kind of mileage,if you haven't already changed them, they are sure to have excessive wear. I just found a couple of mine in need of replacement at 106K. Small knocking sound starting up.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html
Old 25 Nov 2010, 07:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

No doubt about it. Bad bushings will make that noise even when running over a mouse.
Old 26 Nov 2010, 06:07 am
Regular Cruiser

I would start at the control arm bushings... Move the wheels to the left and look at the vertical bushing on the pass side control arm.... I suspect what you will find is the control arm laying on the frame and the bushing torn. Do the same but opposite for the drivers side. You can replace the whole control arm both sides including the ball joint for about 125 on ebay shipped. Several brands and sellers....Just pay close attention to the price and shipping. I just got a set for 98 shipped. While you're at it, get a set of front Sway bar link bushings.. they have to come off to replace the control arm so might as well do it now. About 13 ea side. Also buy a set of front sway bar bushings, they are about 20. BE VERY CAREFUL when removing the 4 bolts holding on the sway bar... they will be rusted and easily broken. Spray them down with PB blaster a few days before. Then....TAKE YOUR TIME... They will break!

Hope this helps!