PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Starting Issues Need Help!! 01 PT Manual

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2010, 10:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Starting Issues Need Help!! 01 PT Manual

Hey everyone,

I have an issue that has me stumped. I have been having trouble getting my Pt Cruiser to turn over. I have 2 starters, one is on the car. I have had both of them tested at 3 different places and they all said they were fine. I have replaced the battery 2 times, last time was yesterday and it's testing great. All lights, etc. work fine with no dimming. The ignition switch and starter relay are both new as well. Every time I try to start the car, it just "clicks" and won't turn over. I checked the wires for the crank sensor and they looked fine.

The car will start and run fine if I push start it. The only error code I get is that the battery has been disconnected in the last 50 starts however, the check engine light stays on with no other codes.

I am really confused and I have an appointment with an electric shop on Thursday but would really love to solve the issue myself because as we know, I won't have any money left after taking it there!

Please, any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Steven
Old 07 Dec 2010, 12:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Starting Issues Need Help!! 01 PT Manual

Basics -
Battery cable connections clean and tight?
starter cable connections clean and tight?
Condtion of the cables? - including to ground from Battery.
That's where I'd focus.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Dec 2010, 12:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was thinking either that cable from the starter to batter or the solenoid. But everyone says that the solenoid and starter come as a unit.

Steven
Old 10 Dec 2010, 07:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Neutral start switch not adjusted correctly? If the manual even has one? I'm not familiar with the manual.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 09:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

I've had a starting problem with my '01 for 2 years now and the dealer has not been very helpful. Replaced the battery and still no change. The last time I took it in the dealer did notice that the starter is dieing so I replaced that and while the starter works wonderfully now the problem came back. I thought it was may battery connectors because they would get full of corrosion and every time I fiddled with them (I replaced them 4 times) the problem would magically disappear for a month or two.

The other day I thought it might have something to do with the ground strap from the battery so I replaced that with a nice heavy braided one ($7) and everything works superbly now. Even the horn got louder which I thought was next on my list of things to replace. I think my problem is solved.

I would highly recommend that if you are having ANY starting issues that this be the first thing to replace since it is a cheap ($7) and quick (5 minutes) job which could save you a lot of guessing.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 12:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

u can try the battery cables but here is my reply in another part of the forums

"ok back ITT and happy new yr everyone. i finally figured out my starting issue. the wires going into the PCM box must have a short in it somewhere. if i move those around when it won't start, it will fire right up. my uncle found this while i was for christmas. been working fine since then. "
Old 07 Jan 2011, 03:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So to the op.

Does it just not START or does it not CRANK

They are two different things, which is not happening?
Old 07 Jan 2011, 03:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

if you read his last post, he says he solved his starting problems by replacing his ground strap.
Old 31 Jan 2011, 03:19 am
Cool Cruiser

The original poster didn't say he solved it, those are other user's comments on what worked for them... I got some good ideas for my problems from them, though, thanks guys! (I'm not the original poster, either. Hope he fixed it?)