Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Speedometer jumping, fobs not working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2010, 08:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Speedometer jumping, fobs not working

OK, it's been cold, in the teens here lately and I'm not sure if this is weather related or not, but it all started happening at the same time.

The fob wouldn't unlock my door. I unlocked it with the key, and when I tried to start it, the car hesitated and the speedometer was jumping all over the place before the car started. It happened again the next day, but didn't start. I turned off the key then I tried it again and it started right up. So, I'm not sure if it's the cold temps or if something's going on with my car that's deactivated my fobs and causes the speedometer to go nuts.

Any ideas?
Old 07 Dec 2010, 09:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Speedometer jumping, fobs not working

A weak battery causes all kinds of things to go bad.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Dec 2010, 09:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The battery's a little over 2 years old. The last one lasted at least 6 years.
(It's a 2002) You think it could be the battery already? Do they go bad faster in colder climes? (We moved north from Louisiana)
Old 07 Dec 2010, 09:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cold does take it's toll on a battery. No harm in checking it out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Dec 2010, 10:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

My 2003 Limited did the same thing--and the replacement battery was only a couple of years old. Corrosion at the battery cables, was my problem. My PT is a notorious corroder ....

The battery cable connectors were so bad off that I had to have them replaced (actually, the whole wiring harness), then I could unlock my locks with the fob, and the needles didn't dance, and the car would start.

Do as Crewzin says and check out the battery (even if it's new), and check the battery cables, too. Clean them with a suitable battery-cleaning tool (they're cheap). Then after connecting the cables back to the battery, spray the battery posts and cable ends with CRC Battery protector (it's the only stuff I've found that really works).

Good luck,

Tim
Old 07 Dec 2010, 10:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks again. I'll have the battery checked. Just cleaned what amounted to very little corrosion off the cable connectors less than a month ago.
Old 08 Dec 2010, 07:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Update....my battery was bad. Had it replaced. So far, the speedometer's not jumping around but my fobs still don't work. It's going down to 9 tonight, so, I'll see what happens in the morning.