Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 limited edition or 03 GT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Dec 2010, 09:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01 limited edition or 03 GT?

Hey all, wanted to get some owner input before I make the plunge and buy a PT cruiser, I tried searching for an answer but found none.

So ive been looking at used cars and for the price/milage not much beats the PT.

I found an 01 limited edition, 56k miles on it, VERY clean, looks brand new, drives like its new, one previous owner who is an older lady that lives in the rich part of the state, so im assuming it was dealer maintained. Excellent car overall and I love it.

THEN I find an 03 GT, for $1000 more (which is also $1000 more then I wanted to pay for a car right now), with 44k miles on it. I havent looked at or drove the car yet so I know nothing about it, but it looks very clean. Only problem I saw is the tires that it has dont look very suitable for snow.

I love turbo cars, but there is associated costs with it, like premium gas, more wear and tear, and possible extremely expensive repairs in the future (turbo failure, head gasket, trans etc.), but the extra bit of power can turn a dull car into something really enjoyable, and it may hold value a little better.

So if you were getting one of these cars to use as your only vehicle/daily driver (although not that many miles a day), which would it be?

Thanks
Old 08 Dec 2010, 10:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 01 limited edition or 03 GT?

If you like performance AT ALL get the GT. The GT is loaded with features, get's the same or better mileage in normal driving (putting your foot into it obviously will affect that).

Don't worry about turbo failure or head gasket for a well maintained car. The auto tranny in the PT is a weak point for both turbo and non-turbo cars.

If you can swing it get a GT...better yet find a 5 speed GT. They're out there.
Old 08 Dec 2010, 10:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Both car's are still very yound, the 01 only has 4yrs on the engine and the 03 only has like 3yrs on it. But i agrees with 03electricbluegt about the performance part. If i would done a little more research on the PT's before i got mine, i'd proly have a turbo right now, but i have my 07 automatic. i proly save about $20's everytime i go to the pump when i fill up with regular instead of super. So if you want power and are totally into it i'd say go with the gt, i would. But if you just want the car cuz it's a PT and will proly be hard to come by in the future, then i say go with the 01. but it's up to you, i'd say get both, one for everyday driving and one for kicking @$$ on the black top. lol good luck on your choice.
Old 08 Dec 2010, 11:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies.

So you guys think the GT is just as reliable? The GT I saw was an auto, so is that likely to fail from the extra HP?

I do like performance, but I highly doubt I will modify any of these cars besides installing a sound system (I got a house to buy too)

Do you think paying for a 2 year powertrain warranty is worth it?
Old 08 Dec 2010, 12:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would go with the 03, as was stated above the auto tranny will last IF you don't stick your foot into it. Use synthetic oil when you change the oil when you leave the car lot. Is the warranty Chryslers or just a dealers? If it is Chryslers, yes, dealers no.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 09 Dec 2010, 11:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

So much more fun with a turbo. And our turbo's are so stout. Only problem with that '03 is the tranny. I love the Getrag 5-speed, it's a beast!
Old 10 Dec 2010, 12:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

My '01 PT lost it's auto tranny at 80k+ so don't go getting the '01 because it has less power and an auto tranny. Having less power didn't work for me. I love my GT so I'd go with that.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 07:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I do like performance, but I highly doubt I will modify any of these cars besides installing a sound system (I got a house to buy too)

That's what we all say until the mod bug bites

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 14 Dec 2010, 12:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The '03 is a better buy.
GTs are worth more, it is newer, and has fewer miles than the '01.
First thing to do is put synthetic oil in it - then you know for sure what's in there and when it was changed.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Dec 2010, 08:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Can you get them both? Always wanted more than one myself.