PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
+7 mph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Dec 2010, 10:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default +7 mph

Ok so i put some tint on the gages cover yesterday and i had to take the dash apart. to make sure i didn't mess up any of the electrical problems i disconnected the negative terminal from battery. So before i did that i was noticing my mpg's increase after i put in the new intake. Before i disconnected the battery, the mpg's were at 17.7. When i connected it back, i noticed that the mpg's went up to 24.7. i thought that was freaking awesome. I read on another thread that it would be good to disconnect the battery so the comp can recognize that there's a mod. so i guess two good things happened, i customized my gages face plate and my mpg's went up.

Last edited by WolfmanG; 08 Dec 2010 at 10:49 am.
Old 08 Dec 2010, 10:40 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: +7 mph

Do you mean MPG (miles per gallon)? MPH is miles per hour...your current speed.

Disconnecting the battery simply rest the computer and reinitialized your average mpg value. Go out for some spirited driving and the average will decrease again.
Old 08 Dec 2010, 10:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03electricbluegt View Post
Do you mean MPG (miles per gallon)? MPH is miles per hour...your current speed.

Disconnecting the battery simply rest the computer and reinitialized your average mpg value. Go out for some spirited driving and the average will decrease again.
I'm sorry, you're right it's supposed to be mpg's. i guess my brains still fried from being awake for like 28hrs yesterday.
Old 08 Dec 2010, 11:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: +7 mph

First of all - Do not trust the mpg display on the dash!
You could have gotten the same difference by simply depressing the reset button on that gauge, which would make it calculate from then on.
So, any difference might be due to something like a long highway trip, versus the previous city driving.
To accurately calculate mpg, you should be filling the tank, and taking note of miles traveled, over a few tank fulls.

(you will not really get as much as 7 mpg better with an aftermarket cold air intake.....maybe 3)

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 08 Dec 2010, 11:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
You could have gotten the same difference by simply depressing the reset button on that gauge, which would make it calculate from then on.
So, any difference might be due to something like a long highway trip, versus the previous city driving.
To accurately calculate mpg, you should be filling the tank, and taking note of miles traveled, over a few tank fulls.

(you will not really get as much as 7 mpg better with an aftermarket cold air intake.....maybe 3)

You know since i fill up everyday I have gotten into a rut of filling up doing the math ( dividing the miles by the gallons) and then checking the read out and on most days (NOT ALL) but most they are really close and since i do the filling and i try to use the same pump every time my millage is usally within .5 from day to day ( which is 21-22mpg) the readout will say like 21.7 or 22.3
Old 08 Dec 2010, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post

Or you could use fuelly.com as some of us do. We have tracked our mileage on every car since our first, a 1953 Chevy Bel Air.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 08 Dec 2010, 01:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Or you could use fuelly.com as some of us do. We have tracked our mileage on every car since our first, a 1953 Chevy Bel Air.

Just asking but Fulie has been around since 1953?????

I did sign up but i guess im just to lazy to enter the data
Old 08 Dec 2010, 01:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

A new intake giving you 7 more mpg? That's not freaking awesome, that's freaking impossible. If that were possible then Chrysler would add intakes to all of it's PT's and advertize the 7 mpg increase. He!!, they'd add an intake to all of their models. Those of us who, when the PT first came out, tried adding power mods, but found out that the nazi Chrysler pcm reverts back to stock parameters after a few miles when any power mod is added. There are ways around this with the PT turbo, but not the non turbo PT.
Old 09 Dec 2010, 12:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

ok so i've been doing some city driving since yesterday and the mpg's are dropping fast but i go back to work tomorrow which is a 16mi round trip on the highway but i do gotta do a little bit of city driving so i'll see how looks. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 09 Dec 2010, 06:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I hope you are NOT going by the read out on your gauges. It normally will NOT tell the correct mileage. You have to figure it after each fill up at the pump, either by pen & paper or fuelly.com.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar