Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator Fan Draining Battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Dec 2010, 01:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Radiator Fan Draining Battery

I'm obviously new to the forum. However, I've been reading a good bit here lately. I now have a problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

First, let me say I've searched here and cannot find the answer. Therefore, I'm asking now.

I have a 2007 PT and the battery was dead a couple of weeks ago. When I went to jump it off, the fan came on as soon as I connected the battery cables. The keys were in still my pocket at this time. I was able to jump the car. However, after getting back home, the fan would not cut off after shutting off the engine. I waited to see if it would turn off, but it just kept running well past a few minutes so I disconnected the battery.

The next day, I connected the battery and the fan did not come on. I started the car and it didn't come on immediately, which of course is normal. I turned on the AC and the high speed fan came on. It turned off after turning off the AC.

I got the engine up to temperature and the low speed fan came on, as it should.

I had no more problems until now. It's doing the same thing again. My nephew drove the car and I later noticed the fan was still running, which was a few hours later. The battery didn't have enough juice to start the engine. I got the battery charged up some and it's not reconnected yet. I supposed leaving the battery disconnected last time reset something and I don't know if this will occur this time.

What is causing this? The fan appears to be working fine. I can only think of it being the relays, but I don't know. I'm just don't know if the relays should even get power with the ignition switch in the off position.

I will add that I've had the engine stumble during warmer weather when the AC was on. I've read here that this could be related to the high speed fan not coming on. However, it worked when I tested it. Therefore, I don't know for sure if this is related.

I will greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Old 09 Dec 2010, 05:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator Fan Draining Battery

cheak the relay it might have gone bad.
Old 09 Dec 2010, 07:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Are you the first owner of the car? If not, go over the wiring to the fan and see if there were any other connections made that would run the fan by itself (directly from the battery) without going through the relays and computer.
Old 09 Dec 2010, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Are you the first owner of the car? If not, go over the wiring to the fan and see if there were any other connections made that would run the fan by itself (directly from the battery) without going through the relays and computer.
I bought the car used, but it had about 27,000 miles on it at the time. It's been driving fine for the last 3 years without any issues. Then this happened. When I looked at the fan before my original post, nothing looked out of sorts.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 02:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Leaving the battery disconnected for an extended period did no good this time around. So I tried to disconnect the relays.

I was able to remove the one closest to the passenger side the first time this whole situation occurred. I tried to remove this same relay again and cannot get it to unsnap and disconnect. I never could remove the other one. What is the easiest way to remove the relays?

After only trying to disconnect the relays, I reconnected the battery and the fan did not come on again. I started the car and it didn't come on. I turned on the AC and the fan came on. It went off after I turned off the AC. I then got the engine up to temperature and the fan came on. Once it cooled for a minute, the fan turned off again. I then turned off the engine and the fan wasn't running and the problem has gone away again. Therefore, I'm deducing there is a problem with the connector or possibly the relay. Keep in mind that I could not get this relay unsnapped from the connector, although there was some tugging on the connector wires.

I need to get to the bottom of this because I feel sure it will come back again. What suggestions do you guys have? Please tell me an easy way to remove those darn relays too. Thanks!
Old 10 Dec 2010, 06:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

When I got my PT..this yr in Oct, I took out all the fuses & relays ( with the exception of that damn OBD fuse) flipped the PDC over and cleaned all the connections; there were a few green spots
The relays came out without issue; It's sounding like you may have a short that could have partly melted the connections at the relays making them difficult to remove. Changes in temps under the hood as you drive and just driving over the road may cause any short(s) to act up. I would go over the PDC, unbolt it and try to look underneath at the wiring and connectors.
BTW, the PDC has 3 different "levels" that is to say the "boxes" for lack of a better word can be separated to get better access to the relays/fuses/wires.