PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
need new battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2010, 07:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default need new battery

Hi everyone!
I'm looking to change my battery in my 01 cruiser tomorrow. Can any one recommend a battery which will fit in without any problems. Also, does anyone happen to know how many CCA's I should be looking for in a battery. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 07:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: need new battery

Do you still have the factory airbox?
Old 14 Dec 2010, 07:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes. The factory air box is still there.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 08:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

26R is the size you want to look for, least it was for my '03.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 09:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

looks to be the same for the 07, 26r-dl, got this from autozone.com

Last edited by WolfmanG; 14 Dec 2010 at 09:13 pm.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 12:11 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkid1983 View Post
looks to be the same for the 07, 26r-dl, got this from autozone.com
I got that same battery just a week ago, love it

2-year warranty, can't beat it for the price.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 01:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
I got that same battery just a week ago, love it

2-year warranty, can't beat it for the price.
well this one says it has a 7yr warranty and it's about $84.99 but i'm thinking it's for the top of the line battery like the gold, cuz i know they have like three levels or something like that. They're good batteries. I've used them in all of my cars.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 03:25 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: need new battery

Hey their bluemonster,

First off, welcome to the Forum.

As far as Batteries go, as mentioned above the stock OEM Battery Size is 26R, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 440 - 540 CCA's which is more than enough for a PT. If you have some small aftermarket accessories like maybe an aftermarket head unit, and so forth, you would probably want to go with something like this for example which is an Autocraft Battery from Advance Auto Parts Store which has 575 CCA's verses say an Interstate Battery which only has 440. Here is a quick Link to the Advance Site with that particular Battery just for reference.

Chrysler Battery, Group Size 26R, 575 CCA by AutoCraft Silver - part# 26R-3

And just in case if needed, here is a Vid taking you through a basic Battery Installation process. Its on an older N?A, but the process is pretty much the same weather you have a Turbo or what not.

Whatever type of Battery you choose to buy, it is better to actually buy a battery no matter what brand with those (for lack of better words) kind of Octagon shaped caps like in the photo below. The reason is that these Batteries were all Manufactured by a Company called Johnson Control Inc. which is one of the largest, and best quality Battery Manufacturers around, and their Products usually are better built, and hopefully will last longer than many other Batteries on the market.

One thing you always should look at whenever looking for a new Battery as well is to keep an eye out for a heat stamp with a letter, and a number heat stamped into the plastic on the battery casing. Usually its either on the top, or somewhere around the side of the top of the casing itself. This marking indicates how old the Battery is. The letter indicates the month, and the number indicates the year. If there are two sets of heat stamps like for example with Interstate Batteries, this indicates that the Battery has not sold within an allotted amount of time and has been returned to the Distribution Warehouse where the original bag has been removed, the battery re-cleaned, recharged for 24 hours, covered with a new heat shrinked bag, and sent back out. This is called a "Rotated Battery". The slight problem is, when you charge a battery for 24 hours, or more that is only slightly discharged from new especially when charging them in a bank of a pallet full of new batteries at the same time, you can slightly overcharge the new Batteries which will produce a very slight bulge in the case, and will cut the life of the Battery by half. Note that this is not the case on all Rotated Batteries, but varies depending on each individual Batteries state of charge when it comes in which varies from battery to battery. These Rotated Batteries with two heat stamps on their case should be avoided to avoid having any problems with the Battery later on down the road.

Here is the Photo of the type of Caps to look for, for the better type of Battery no matter under what name, or Manufacturer it is under, the basic parts are still the same. Also note the double Heat Stamp on the Case which indicates a Rotated Battery, and should be avoided.

After you replace your Battery, I would also then highly recommend you swing by most any local Auto Parts Store and see if you can have them do a quick test of your Charging System if you would like. Most Stores offer it free of charge, it only takes a couple of minutes, and tests your battery, alternator, and voltage regulator to make sure all is well. It can also indicate if you have a dead short, or bad wire somewhere causing a Parasitic Draw on your system as well.

What they do to perform this test is to hook a simple digital Volt Meter to your battery and take a reading while the car is running. Then they will ask you to create a draw by turning on your headlights, radio, wipers, etc, and watch the Voltage. It should momentarily drop a couple points and then come back up normally somewhere within the 11.6 - 14.00 range though it could have a bit more variance depending on the vehicle and system being tested. If its too low, it is more than likely a bad alternator. If it is way high, their is an electrical problem and will likely eventually fry your battery as well as probably some fuses, and hopefully not other things in the process.

Anyways, I know that is probably way more info than you ever wanted to know about car batteries, but I have been meaning to write some of this information up for a while so figured why not here for ya.

Good luck with it, I know its not the funnest project in the world, and as always if you ever have any questions, I am always more than happy to try to help wherever I can.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 17 Jan 2011 at 06:47 am.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 03:49 am
Cool Cruiser

LOL, this is perfect for me to post in! ALRIGHT got my sub and my amp in, new deck, now if i turn the valume up and the base is loud, i get the strobing, still got stock battery in it, do you think getting a new battery will help out with all the strobing? the amp is real small, only about 250 watts or mapy 400 watts max. so what do you think?
Old 15 Dec 2010, 04:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by urimashe View Post
LOL, this is perfect for me to post in! ALRIGHT got my sub and my amp in, new deck, now if i turn the valume up and the base is loud, i get the strobing, still got stock battery in it, do you think getting a new battery will help out with all the strobing? the amp is real small, only about 250 watts or mapy 400 watts max. so what do you think?
HEY GET YOUR OWN THREAD!!!! lmao