Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HOAT vs Dex Cool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Dec 2010, 10:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Default HOAT vs Dex Cool

OK.. been bitterly cold here in the South for many days..
Now we have to take a trip up North, and I want to be sure the Antifreeze is up for the job.

I have saw some discussion here about the HOAT Antifreeze.. and also saw Zerex and Dex Cool mentioned.
I HATE to be a bother,.. but I kind of need to know which one is the correct one.
I think I saw someplace that Dex Col is the same thing, as HOAT. My NAPA store even told me that (but you never know when someone is just trying to 'sell' something)
I saw Zerex names listed... and I didn't know who made the HOAT.

At 15 to 20 bucks a gallon I want to make SURE I get the right stuff.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 11:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: HOAT vs Dex Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Rod_Guy View Post
OK.. been bitterly cold here in the South for many days..
Now we have to take a trip up North, and I want to be sure the Antifreeze is up for the job.

I have saw some discussion here about the HOAT Antifreeze.. and also saw Zerex and Dex Cool mentioned.
I HATE to be a bother,.. but I kind of need to know which one is the correct one.
I think I saw someplace that Dex Col is the same thing, as HOAT. My NAPA store even told me that (but you never know when someone is just trying to 'sell' something)
I saw Zerex names listed... and I didn't know who made the HOAT.

At 15 to 20 bucks a gallon I want to make SURE I get the right stuff.
Just went through that whole thing and never did get a definite statement (lot's of contradictory statements) so I just went to the dealer and said "give me coolant for a 2008 PT Cruiser" and they charged $23.76 after taxes for a gallon.

It is a pinkish orange and at least I know I have the right stuff.

Phill
Old 15 Dec 2010, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

No on dexcool
There are 2 Zerex - a 5 and 3 - One of those is okay - have them look it up.
NAPA has the Zerex, and it was around $15/gallon.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Dec 2010, 05:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Man I like to never have found the stuff...
Our local NAPA doesn't carry it...
Went to Auto Zone.. not there either.
In fact neither place had even HEARD of the stuff.... Both tried to sell me a 'blend', but with you all's help I knew that wasn't the rigt stuff.

Finally I went to O'Reilys Auto Parts... Went through the same some and dance there,.. clerks told me the blend was the right stuff. Assured me that DexCool was the same thing,. etc
A manager heard us discussing it, and he took me over to look at the various anti-freezes... Then he told me.. I never heard of it, and all the other PT owners use the Dex Cool when they buy. He then told me he wanted to make a call, and he called the local O'Reilys supplier. They told him that there WAS such a item, and game him the item number.
He was very nice about it and appoligized for not knowing there even was such an item, and then called and ordered a couple cases and put it on his permanent restock inventory. He also told me "thanks" for being instant that this stuff existed, and he said he learned something new.
I am supposed to pick up a couple gallons in a day or two.
SO hang in there folks. It's out there, just have to educate some folks as to what is required.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 11:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Approved Vendor ZXGO5RU1 Antifreeze/Coolant

Free shipping and great price and Chrysler approved

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 16 Dec 2010, 01:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Chrysler makes such a big to-do about using their HOAT antifreeze (and I've heard so many PT horror stories about those who used other than Mopar 5-year HOAT Antifreeze) that for a few bucks extra (hell, you just change it once every five years), I went ahead and bought the Mopar 5-year HOAT.

There have been so many peculiar things concerning my PT that I have never encountered with any other car that I figure I'll put into the beast what the manufacturer says to put in--like ATF+4 in the auto transmission, and ATF+4 in the power steering reservoir, etc.

Why not just put into the thing what Chrysler says to put in. It's a no-brainer.

Tim
Old 16 Dec 2010, 09:44 am
Regular Cruiser

It's not a matter of putting in the recommended stuff... It is about finding it available somewhere else. Chrysler here was 27.99...
Kinda stupid to buy it from Chrysler when I can buy the SAME stuff somewhere else for 1/2 the price.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 12:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Your dealer price is about four bucks more than I paid--and I'm in California. That's a bit steep. I wonder if someone mails HOAT for cheaper than what you paid?

Tim
Old 16 Dec 2010, 05:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

I found our local "O'Reileys" Auto Parts can get the HOAT for about $14 / gallon.
They had no idea that it even existed until I told them, and they contacted a local supplier. They are going to start stocking it now.
Just another place maybe others can find it.

Down here in the S.E. we haven't saw a Zerex product sold for many years. Maybe it isn't available here, but is in other parts of the U.S. ???
Old 16 Dec 2010, 09:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

got mine at NAPA and it was like $15 or so not cheap btu i guess not to bad