Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
not getting warm air through the heater vents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2010, 06:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default not getting warm air through the heater vents

heater isnt blowing hot air. motor gets up to temp fans kick in. upper hose appears to losen in stiffness as the fans kick in, and i assume that is when the thermo should be opening. the hose doesnt seem to get hot either. thermostat is brand new, installed a day ago as the first attempt to find solution to this problem
Old 16 Dec 2010, 09:07 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: not getting warm air through the heater vents

I'd guess heater core. Let the engine warm and see if the return line coming from the core is warm.

Has it ever had heat?

Last edited by monitor51; 16 Dec 2010 at 02:07 pm.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 11:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Could be the heater core but more likely a blockage in the coolant system not letting the hot coolant get to the core. Might want to flush out the system and make sure any trapped air is bled out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Dec 2010, 04:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

im thinking i found it. when i changed the thermostat way back when, i remember losing one of the waterneck bolts. never found it under the car, had to go buy replacments for both sides, and cut them to fit perfect. tonight, when i decided to drain and reinstall everything after a test on the thermostat, i removed the waterneck and noticed that inside the the hole there was an odd threaded stud that didnt look right. sure enough i put my magnet picker down to it and low and behold it grabs it and i twist it out to discover it is one of the original waterneck bolts. my guess is that the coolant flow before it stopped, had washed that bolt back up to the thermostat and it positioned itself right through the springportion of the thermostat, not allowing it to compress or open up. that would have been the obstruction in the lines, as well as the locking up the thermostat from opening and closing. i'll put it all back together and let you know
Old 18 Dec 2010, 09:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That's sounds pretty reasonable for the cause of your problems and another reason why it's so hard to diagnose some of the problems. We can't possibly know what went on before the offending problem came to the forum. Good luck, hope you got it solved.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 03:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

bagged it! its amazing how sometimes you can trust common logic to get you to the answer, and then theres those times that it takes something completely illogical to stare you in the face and scream the answer at you.
New PT owners: do yourself a favor if your building up your mechanics tool set, invest in every unique magnetic,or claw grasp pick-up tool you come across. along with a good inspection mirror. this car eats hardware and small tools. maybe 1 out of 10 things dropped under the hood ever makes it to the ground. when i dropped that bolt, and searched hi and low, i thought for a quick second, is it possible......na!