PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
disable autolock doors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2010, 08:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Default disable autolock doors?

Hi,

Is there a way to disable the autolocking system of the doors?
Like when I start my car, the doors automatically lock,and when I stop the engine,they open automatically.
I fear the mechanism will fail someday, and I want to keep it in tact, by using it as least as possible.
I don't mind the minor manual inconvenience, since most of the time I only need the driverdoor to be opened, not all 4.
I'm driving with a blank key (without remote), so I won't need the central locking system. I just want to be sure the car won't enter into the safety mode that it'll stop after 10 minutes. that feat seems disabled on my car.

Thanks.

Last edited by ProDigit; 16 Dec 2010 at 08:06 am.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 10:12 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: disable autolock doors?

Look in your manual - if it's possible, it'll be in there. Call your dealer and ask too. My wifes van is programmable by the user to lock several ways - she wanted to lock when cranked and unlock when switched off. My Cruiser locks at 15 mph; but does not unlock - the front doors unlock when you pull on the inside handle, the rear do not.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 11:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Hi,

I fear the mechanism will fail someday, and I want to keep it in tact, by using it as least as possible.

Personally, if that's what your worried about, you might as well disable everything on the car you car. Stop using any kind of button control with your keys, that could stop working at any time also.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 06:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

First off, don't worry about the system failing. Power locks are about as old as the hills and actuators rarely fail these days, even with heavy use.

Secondly, yes it's possible. 10 minutes at the dealer and they'll be disabled.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 06:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Personally, if that's what your worried about, you might as well disable everything on the car you car. Stop using any kind of button control with your keys, that could stop working at any time also.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 06:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

On my '06, it's selectable in Personal Settings on the dash. Is that not true for earlier models???
Old 16 Dec 2010, 07:17 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
On my '06, it's selectable in Personal Settings on the dash. Is that not true for earlier models???
The earlier models dont have Personal Settings on the dash.At least my old '01 didnt and my wife's '05 does'nt.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 07:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You're right, I just read that it started with the CAN buss cars, so '06 and up, and not all of them either. Weird, Chrysler can't do anything consistently other than being inconsistent....
Old 17 Dec 2010, 12:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

well, power lock failing is only one of many reasons I prefer to disable it.
I can't spend a lot of money on the dealer, they also are far away, so I prefer to know if there's an easy do-it-yourself way, that I can disable it with.

Other reasons are, I unlock the doors, step into the car, start it, and by the time my wife wants to open the passengers door, the locks lock the doors. Annoying.
At times I want to keep her door unlocked, when I want to pick her up from the station, so I can drive by, and she can immediately enter, and off we go.
But the PT locks the doors,so by the time I arrive at the station I need to stretch to her door to unlock it.
Minor inconveniences that could very easily be solved when a non-automatic system is there.
IMHO an automatic door lock is only good if the least amount of people and doors that are used are 2 (or more).
But when a car generally only has the driver opening a door, and occasionally the passengers seat, there's no need for locking/unlocking the back doors everytime.

My next car will probably not have any central locking system.