Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
noise from engine after 30km/hr not wheel bearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2010, 02:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default noise from engine after 30km/hr not wheel bearing

My 2002 PT drives fine but engine just started to be louder,sounding rough (as if it is stuck in low gear) So it gets louder upon acceleration after 30km/hr and continues even when foot is off the gas and your just rolling.kinda like a rumbling. Checked all fluids, they are good and I ran the codes and nothing came up.Thought it was the wheel bearing so I took it into the Napa mechanic shop and they said it wasn't that. I notice the noise more because I am familar with how the car normally sounds. They said they couldn't find a noise except when he put a screwdriver up to the transaxle? he could hear a slight noise. Their suggestion was to wait till it got more noticible. Does anyone have any suggestions I hate feeling like a sitting duck.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 04:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: noise from engine after 30km/hr not wheel bearing

You didn't say what your mileage is and if you have had the transaxle flushed like your supposed to do. Would be good to flush it at 30,000 miles (18645 kms) but no later than 50K (31070 kms).

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 05:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It's not in your engine. The noise you're hearing is either coming from the transaxle or your running gear.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 06:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Unless he's got an auto-tensioner on the belt going bad. That usually squeals though, instead of rumbling/grumbling.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 07:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I kinda thought so. My last transmission flush was at 50k which is about 31,000 miles. (The conversion is 1.6km to 1 mile)(I am half American so I understand both) My current mileage is about 114,000 miles and I have gone through previous posts and there seems to be conflicting advice about flushing higher milage vehicles, something to the effect that it can actually cause slipping?? as well as relearn? does this mean I have to take it to the dealership. I am also willing to do as much as the work myself if it saves me a few $$. You already helped me before Crewzin and you didn't steer me wrong then,lol. What about the mechanic advice about waiting for the sound to get worse? Or is this just asking for trouble? A non mechanic friend suggested maybe it is just really out of alignement and I am getting extra road noise...though I don't think so.
Apprieciate some friendly advice)
Old 16 Dec 2010, 08:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The others that have replied are extremely knowledgeable. We can only go by the information given us to help pin-point the problem.

If you did the entire flush, we might be trying to pin-point the wrong thing. It would have been a good guess if you hadn't done it at all. Noise is hard to diagnose over the Internet unless it gives exact parameters like a wheel bearing on one side when turning.

I would see if you can get it on a lift that will let the transaxle and wheels turn while it's up in the air. Someone under neath while everything is turning can hopefully pinpoint the noise area. 30km's won't be hard to reach and the noise should make itself heard.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 16 Dec 2010 at 08:38 pm.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 09:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

/\ What he said! /\
Old 17 Dec 2010, 03:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

When we had it on a hoist and there was no noticible noise when wheels turned, simply when you put a screwdriver against the transaxle area. There also is no pressure from the road which is when the noise is most noticible. So, tomorrow I will do a transmission flush. I am going to do it myself so wish me luck, and hopefully I won't have to relearn the transmission
I realize it is quite difficult to diagnose something over the internet but I really appreciate ALL the suggestions and believe this forum is amazingly helpful!
Old 17 Dec 2010, 10:25 am
Regular Cruiser

I think you can rule out alignment.

Just to make sure you might want to look at the bushings on the lower control arms. Or maybe the engine mounts. I highly doubt either is the culprit, but there could be a long shot it's some funky engine vibration.

Hey, we keep throwing stuff at the wall until something sticks.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 11:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

If you take the car down the road at say 40 mph, do brisk turns to see if noise changes from left to right. May want to do this in a open road because need to load bearings both ways. If you get a spot where it quiets down it is the wheel bearings. I have heard several cars on a hoist with bad wheel bearings that would sound good with no load on them.