Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power window switches

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2010, 08:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Power window switches

Hi everyone, new to the forum although I've owned my 2001 Pt Ltd. Ed. since new. It only has 47000 miles and has a five speed. Color is Inferno red. The car has been wonderful and the only persistent problem I have seems to be in the power window main switch assy. The front windows work intermittently. They will work for a couple of weeks, then when you need them(like a parking garage) they give up the ghost and won't work for another week or two. The rears in the dash center panel always work fine. How hard is it to pop that assembly out and put in a new one? Has this been a continuous problem? That switch assy. is kind of pricey so if I can fix whats there it would be good. Thanks in advance for any feedback. Barrels
Old 16 Dec 2010, 08:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Power window switches

It's VERY easy, just put a small object in the center @ the top and pry it out..it will just pop out easily. then, slide the red locking tab out a bit and the plug will come right out. I have an '01 LTD also, I just got it in Oct. My switch is fine..except 2 of the three lights are out in it. Do a search for this switch and see what pops up. I haven't read any posts about the switch failing, but, I'm fairly new here also and there may be something on it.
BTW, welcome to the forum!
Old 16 Dec 2010, 08:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Barrels,

That 4-switch assembly comes out pretty easy. It just slides straight out. Real carefully pry out the switch first from the left side, then the right. Keep alternating and you'll see the switch start to pop out. It comes out far enough so you can see the connections and how to take it apart.

It might be just a loose connection so see that everything is tight and well connected. After that, you can slide the switch back in but not all the way so you can quickly grab it and pull it out when the windows don't work so you can fiddle with the connections again to see if you can get them to start working.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 09:41 am
Regular Cruiser

My parents' 02 had the same issues you're describing; I swapped their switch out with my wife's 05 switch in order to test their switch. Turns out the 02 switch had failed so they ended up replacing it with a used switch from ebay and haven't had any issues for about a year and half.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 03:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info guys. Guess I'll buy a new unit and keep the old one as a spare. Installation sounds pretty simple. Barrels
Old 17 Dec 2010, 08:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Search ebay, I found LOTS of them for sale there. Just make darned certain you buy from someone reputable, with a high score, like me, 100% positive.....lol.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 07:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to XmasDVD

Had my switch go out today on my 08 cruiser. Back windows work fronts stopped - gonna take it off and see if the connector is bad first then go to EBAY found a bunch of them - thanks !!
Old 12 Jan 2011, 11:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

That's the way mine worked too. The fronts stopped working but the rears were ok. It was intermittent and sometimes the fronts would work good for a couple of weeks then when you went to pay for a parking space they wouldn't go down. I wouldn't trust any used bargains out there, they may not be any better than the ones you have. My garage has a new set on order from Chrysler and I was quoted $125. The instruction for replacing have been posted here and it looks like they just pop out from the top. Good luck.

2001 PT Limited 5 speed
Old 12 Jan 2011, 11:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XmasDVD View Post
Had my switch go out today on my 08 cruiser. Back windows work fronts stopped - gonna take it off and see if the connector is bad first then go to EBAY found a bunch of them - thanks !!
Getting to your switch assembly is not so easy. On the '06 and up the switch is behind the center console cover. Have you taken off the center console cover before? If not, I just posted a "how to" on another thread.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 08:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to XmasDVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Getting to your switch assembly is not so easy. On the '06 and up the switch is behind the center console cover. Have you taken off the center console cover before? If not, I just posted a "how to" on another thread.

..not yet - I was gonna ask about that - what section of the forums? I will go looking Thanks