Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Error code 0339

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Dec 2010, 11:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Error code 0339

So I was driving the PT the other day she had already warmed up all her fluids. I just accelerated to merge into traffic and had backed off the accelerator when the check engine light came on and the car went into limp home mode. Great. Merry christmas.

I drive the short distance home under 2k rpm and park her. We have dinner and I head back out into the cold to pull my code and do a litle research on my phone about what to do next. I start her up and take her for a spin. No problems.

The next day I pull the battery and clear the error code. Three days later no code no problems. Any idea what would cause the crankshaft sensor to flip out then be fine?
Old 19 Dec 2010, 12:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Error code 0339

Well the code came back so my buddy is getting me a mopar sensor to replace this one. Hopefully that will fix it.

Seems like these sensor go bad every once in awhile.
Old 08 Jan 2011, 09:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Replaced the crank sensor today. What a major pain in the butt! Just to be clear in a 2005 pt cruiser the crankshaft sensor is located under the starter on the radiator side of the motor. There is a bracket in the way with 5 bolts three of the bolts are easy to get out and 2 are very long and not positioned to be easily rempved. Once this bracket is off the sensor is very easy to replace.

Once again. 2005 and probably later model cruisers do not have their crankshaft sensors in the back over the oil filter.
Old 08 Jan 2011, 10:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

i just had to do the same thing to my baby but Eve's an 07. well actually it was the crankshaft position sensor that i had to replace, totally different, sorry. but welcome to the site.
Old 09 Jan 2011, 07:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your both talking about the same sensor and yes, in 2004 Chrysler changed the sensor from above the oil filter to in back of the starter. There are a couple of threads that talk about the change.

The new Chilton and Haynes manual that is SUPPOSED to cover all PT's from 2001 to 2009 still only talks about the sensor that's located above the oil filter and NOTHING about how it changed in 2004. So much for an updated manual.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 09 Jan 2011 at 07:31 am.
Old 09 Jan 2011, 08:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry Crewzin. I didn't see the other thread. I looked but everything I saw on here referred to it being behind the engine above the oil filter. My manual was no help either.

If you want go ahrad and take this thread down.
Old 09 Jan 2011, 09:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

NO, I didn't mean it to sound like you should have seen the other threads. In fact most threads are about the sensor being near the oil filter because it was the older PT's that were having problems but more and more newer PT's are seeing the problems the older one had. The more threads we have telling about the new area for the sensor the better it will help anyone doing a search.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Mar 2011, 06:55 am
Young Cruiser

Driving into work this morning, I too got the problem where my PT started to hesitate. My engine light on the instrument cluster was flashing. So, I pulled off to the side and checked the codes (key dance method).
I rec'd a 0315 and 0339 error. I wasn't sure what these meant, so I drove back home - nice weather predicted for today anyhow
When I got back home, I noticed the engine light was now burning steady. I did another error code check. This time, I also got a 0300 code (misfire mutiple cylinders).
I just replaced the camshaft sensor (top of engine next- battery side) last year. I cleared all the codes at that time.
Any ideas on what else to check?

P0300
P0315
P0339

I should probably also note that I have yet to change the timing belt. Currently @ 119K Miles. Just wondering...Could a failing belt be the cause of these errors?

Last edited by NIL8r; 18 Mar 2011 at 07:18 am.
Old 18 Mar 2011, 07:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

339 is definitely your crankshaft sensor which is right behind your radiator.

The other codes make me think it might be more serious than a bad sensor. Pull the battery for 10 minutes and clear the codes. I she running any different?
Old 18 Mar 2011, 07:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Both 339 and 315 have to do with the Crankshaft Position Sensor and 300 could be the result of that sensor. Recommendation is to change that sensor. Only use a Chrysler/MOPAR part not something from Pep Boys. As was stated earlier, it's behind the starter on your car and it's not easy to replace, in fact it's a pain in the you-know-where.