PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Plastic guard under front right side is hanging// strut issue too

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Dec 2010, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Plastic guard under front right side is hanging// strut issue too

Hey,

So my boyfriend decided to do some awesome move over a sidewalk or something the other night, and to make a long story short, the plastic guard (?) under the front right side, near the front right tire, is dragging.

I guess my questions for this are:

1) What is this piece called, and is it crucial for the car to operate safely?

2) What could have happened to have this occur exactly?

--

Also,

I got new struts put in, and when I turn the wheel to the left, there's a clicking noise; when I turn the wheel to the right, there's a huge THUD. Any suggestions? It's going on a lift on Monday (there isn't one three-week period I've had since owning this Chrysler that it hasn't gone on a lift, btw), just would like to get an idea of what's up

OHHH, Added BONUS... this dash on the car, garage kept, and with a dash cover on, decided to freak OUT the other day, and split from the windshield, to the center vent, to the front of the dash... and the center vent broke and fell into the magical area under it... is this a safety hazard as well?

I'd just like some ideas on this...

Thanks !!!
Old 18 Dec 2010, 11:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Plastic guard under front right side is hanging// strut issue too

WOW! Sorry to hear that you are having such a bad time. I feel your frustration, It sounds like the inner fender "splash shield" has come loose. That shouldn't be a big deal, a few fasteners~if it's not damaged and it could be put back in place.
The other sounds like the "clicking" when turning could be the CV joint, I didn't see what yr your PT is,but, if it has a lot of miles that might explain the CV joint. Sometimes the rubber boot that covers the joint gets ripped or somehow damaged and it's downhill for the joint after that. That is true for any vehicle with CV joints..so don't feel it's only your car.
The thud sound might be the control arm bushing worn out..a common thing on some PT's. The dash cracking seems to happen to a certain # of PT's but there are thousands more that haven't had an issue. Mine is an '01 w/209,000 KM on it..no problem with the dash..yet!
There is another thread here that talks about that. I hope you can get things worked out, take a deep breath and try to sort through stuff one at a time. Let us know how you make out.
Old 18 Dec 2010, 11:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Some advice - don't let the boyfriend drive your PT!

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 18 Dec 2010, 11:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

LOL, I should get a new boyfriend haha...
Old 19 Dec 2010, 01:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner View Post
WOW! Sorry to hear that you are having such a bad time. I feel your frustration, It sounds like the inner fender "splash shield" has come loose. That shouldn't be a big deal, a few fasteners~if it's not damaged and it could be put back in place.
The other sounds like the "clicking" when turning could be the CV joint, I didn't see what yr your PT is,but, if it has a lot of miles that might explain the CV joint. Sometimes the rubber boot that covers the joint gets ripped or somehow damaged and it's downhill for the joint after that. That is true for any vehicle with CV joints..so don't feel it's only your car.
The thud sound might be the control arm bushing worn out..a common thing on some PT's. The dash cracking seems to happen to a certain # of PT's but there are thousands more that haven't had an issue. Mine is an '01 w/209,000 KM on it..no problem with the dash..yet!
There is another thread here that talks about that. I hope you can get things worked out, take a deep breath and try to sort through stuff one at a time. Let us know how you make out.
Well, mine's a 2002, 99k, no accidents, and generally well taken care of. Um, the issue with the "click click click" as I turn to the left and the "THUD" as I turn to the right only began when I changed the struts. So I'm assuming the mechanic I used (a relative of mine that's pretty good at this kind of thing) may have messed something up. It's not a big deal; I'm about 500 miles away from home, and as long as it'll clear on Monday, I'll drive it back and have him fix it. The control arm bushings probably do need replaced; I can't find online how to do it, so if anyone has a link to that, that'd be awesome .
I'm not mega-worried, as I've got a few mechanics in the family that'll tear this stuff DOWN for like, next to nothing (he charged me $75 labor for the struts), but obviously, since this issue happened AFTER he put the struts in... I've found another crappy shadetree mechanic lol, but I trust he'll correct the issue when I get home.

I already called Chrysler and inquired as to whether or not they'd partially reimburse me for the dash, and it seems they will as long as I present them with a repair receipt.

I'm a pretty broke college kid, and every 'maintenance' item that's been done on my car has been done poorly. When I first bought the car, it needed a new front tie rod, new rear breaks and rotors, and a transmission pan and gasket. I took it to this guy that my aunt had went to church with, and he did the repairs for a really reasonable price. Got the car back, and it was REALLY out of alignment. I, of course, did not know that you had to get an alignment done when you got a tie rod replaced, which isn't a big deal, but because I didn't know this, I asked my aunt to ask him what was up with the alignment, and he tried to claim that the car was initially out of alignment. I drove the car 400+ miles to him after I purchased it, so I knew he was full of it, but of course I got the alignment.

A little later on down the road, I hear a slight vibration when I'd swing around corners, and being rather nascent on the subject of cars, I went back to the guy to find out what was up (it was my front struts, which should have been obvious to anyone that claimed to have 20+ years experience with cars). He stated that it was my control arm bushings, and then he saw that my left front wheel bearing was really, really bad and told me that I really needed to replace it ASAP, so I went down and bought the bearing, and let him do the work. Took him 5+ days to replace it, which wouldn't have been a huge issue except for the fact that I had to drive it from Kansas to Massachusetts (summer internship), and now instead of having 4-5 days to do so, I had two. I ended up in Massachusetts, driving practically nonstop, and still arrived two hours too late for the initial dinner. I looked like an a**, no doubt.

While in Massachusetts, I realized that every time the wheel would revolve, I'd hear this hideous "squeak squeak squeak" noise, which sounded like metal-on-metal. I KNEW it was coming from the left wheel, where the mech had replaced the bearing, but I was confident it must be the brakes, because everything else looked okay. After Massachusetts, I was in upstate New York, and by that time the noise had gotten out of control. I took the car to Sears to see if they could tell me what's up, and the person lied and said that the noise was coming from the right wheel and it was because I needed a tie rod. I obviously didn't pay $1100+ for the Sears work, because I knew that the noise was coming from the right side. I took it to a mechanic at an independent shop (the only truly honest mechanic I know around here), and he said "...everything's tight, the ride is fine. Not sure where the noise is coming from, but you're going to be alright to get it back to Kansas.
I'd replace the struts when you got there though; that's where the vibrational noise is coming from; you need to get these done."

Went back to Kansas, and got in touch with this man who owned a small shop where I had gotten work done previously. Paid the shop to do the timing belt, rear shocks, and front breaks and rotors; the man said it'd take about 2-3 days max to do it, so I left my car there. Five days later (Friday), I finally got the car back, and the first thing I noticed was that the A/C didn't work. I had to take it back to the shop... first thing the guy said was, "You'll have to leave it over the weekend, because we're not going to work until Monday." he finally figured out that one of his boys had unplugged the compressor and after I left it sitting there for 2 hours, he was able to plug it back in.

Drove the car on the local state highway, and as soon as I hit over 35, the steering wheel
shook back and forth violently, so I was stuck in this town for another two days until the shop
reopened on Monday. I get the car back in to the shop first thing Monday morning, the mechanic
takes the driver's side wheel off, and says, "You get your bearing replaced recently?" I reply "Yes."
and he states, "Sorry, should have caught this before. The person that replaced your bearing
gouged your hub assembly, and that's what's been making this noise." Apparently it got a LOT
worse when the new rotors were put on. The mechanic got out his grinder and fixed the months-long problem, finally.

Go forward about two weeks later, and I'm checking my fluids in the morning. I go to check my
tranny fluid, so I start my engine up, and I hear THE WORST clicking, slacking noise ever from
the timing belt case (nice use of onomatopoeia, I know, right?), and so I call the mechanic in
Kansas that did the timing belt, and he tells me, "Oh, sorry hun, the case was cracked, so
instead of getting the part and replacing it I just glued it back together. I was trying to save you
some money." AWESOME. So now I'm freaking OUT because I literally fear my timing belt's going to snap at any given moment. He's offered to redo the work free of charge (obviously),
but I'm living in Indiana, and I'll have to go back to Kansas to get it done, and I'm not looking to
be in that direction for about three+ months, so I hope my belt holds up until then.

Also noticing that ever since he 'replaced' the front breaks and rotors, my breaks like to squeak
with every turn (turns out he didn't grease something, according to my relative that did the struts
that's going to grease them when I get back), and sometimes, they even like to lock up when
the roads are a little wet (never had the problem prior to this).

I then got my struts done, and the vibrational noise has stopped (SUCCESS!), but now I've
got the "click click click" noise when I turn to the left, and the "THUD" when I turn to the
right. I'm DONE.

Now I've got these new, awesome problems due to the new struts, and God, I'm just hoping
nothing else happens, because honestly, I'm about done with it.

This car has been nothing but horror stories for me, and it's not exactly because of the supposed
'quality' of Chrysler- it's been because I've had really bad mechanics, or really bad luck, and I can't
afford to get another vehicle nor can I afford to spend $1000+ taking it in for minor work at a chain
shop.

So that's my story. Wow. Any more advice on the strut issue, or the break squealing and locking,
or the dragging plastic thingy?

Thank you! :/
Old 19 Dec 2010, 09:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

IMHO, it sounds like you have had bad luck/advice/mechanics/boyfriend. My grand daughter has a 2002 and when she bought it, it had 78000 miles on it. Only has had 2 minor parts replaced and has no problems since, over a 2 year period. She has driven it ofter from Boca Raton to her mom's house quite often + using it at college to job (s).

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar