Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Alternator output limit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Dec 2010, 04:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Alternator output limit?

so i have a 2007 pt just plain jane with a stock alternator i have a system and i think the Alternator is 100 amp and and i get dimming with bass of course and well my amp blew out so i have been running with no bass but i noticed that im still gettting dimming and there is a hpf on the highs so does the computer limit the output on the Alternator?
Old 21 Dec 2010, 08:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Alternator output limit?

Well, you could have a bad alternator... unlikely though considering you have an 07. Could be a bad battery that isn't holding a charge. Found this post with a simple search -
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersfan1 View Post
Anyways, the alternator on the PT Cruiser is computer controlled. At 120 amps, it's pretty beefy as far as stock alternators go. If you replace the battery with a low-ESR battery like Optima or Exide Orbital ,and you upgrade all the major factory grounds to 4 gauge or larger, and the amplifier wiring is sufficient gauge for the power you're putting down (0 gauge for the power you're trying to bump with) ............. and you're still getting alot of dimming? It's probably the computer's fault, in which case the only thing that might help the problem would be an alternator with a voltage rectifier that you can control without the computer's intervention.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 09:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Check out Missing Link Audio They have modules to bump the output up.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 12:15 am
Senior Cruiser

I had dimming due to poor grounds. Ran a few ground wires from the negative post of the battery to a few key points in the engine compartment (a few others did this as well) and haven't had an problem since. Lots of people call it 'hypergrounding'. I run approximately 800wRMS and upwards of 2,000w Max and have had no issues.

Old 22 Dec 2010, 02:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Poor grounds, heavy loads, crappy MFS, or dying battery, they all can cause this. My lights started dimming like that just before my MFS went out, the first time. My lights started doing the cha-cha version of dimming (really fast and even w/out the amp) and two days later my battery went tu.

Now, however, after replacing the battery and jacking back in my 3000 watt amp, I had the dimming to the beat of the bass. So pulled out the DiabloSport Predator and jacked up the output voltage, now no more dimming. Yes, the output of the alternator/generator is computer controlled, and you can increase it and watch as you go up your interior lights will get brighter! Each 1/10th of a volt, they got just a bit brighter, about 1/2 volt and the dimming stopped.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 01:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

well i added a 4 ga ground and it worked perfectly i feel stupid for not thinking of that but thanx everyone for all your help you guys are extreemly helpful