PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 PT various problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Dec 2010, 08:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01 PT various problems

All,

I'm new to these forums, but looks like there are many knowledgeable folks here. I wonder if you can help me with something.

My daughter has an 01 Limited, and recently it's been experiencing a bunch of problems. I took it to my mechanic, and they told me the following:

1. The high pressure power steering hose needs replacing.
2. Rack and pinion steering is leaking badly.
3. Solenoid pack on top of transmission needs replacing.
4. Rear brakes are metal to metal.
5. Throttle cable chewed through due to squirrels (I had 2 other cars with various squirrel issues, but not for a long time).

For all of the repairs, including flushing tranny and power steering, it comes to $2,300. The car also has 96k, so they tell me the timing belt will probably need to be replaced soon for about $1,000. Is that reasonable? I am thinking I don't want to fix it and will sell the car for whatever I can. I can't imagine what the stealership would charge for all of this.

Opinions?

Gregg
Old 23 Dec 2010, 08:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01 PT various problems

Welcome to the Forum, Gregg!!

All I can comment on is the timing belt issue, your mechanic is right in the ball park with his estimate. Some PT owners have bought the parts themselves and taken it to a mechanic, parts run about $350-$450, labor takes about 5-6 hours.

As far as the other problems, if he says it needs it, it probably does. Many people will NOT touch a PT with that many miles on it UNLESS the timing belt has been done, we suggest 100,000 miles, although the manual says 125,000. Good Luck!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 23 Dec 2010, 09:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Gregg,

Welcome to the forum. Starting from the last, yes, the timing belt job is somewhere around $1000 which should include the water pump and the two drive belts plus belt tensioner. The job for the timing belt is around 5 to 7 hours so it's the labor rate that brings the price up. We recommend everyone to do that job before the 100,000 mile mark.

All your other repairs, are hard to judge. That's a lot of things to go wrong so I take it you bought the car used and the previous owner just ran it to the ground. Hopefully it wasn't you. Putting it all together, adding up all the labor time and parts, just a guess but he's probably in the ball park for the price quoted. If the cars still running, you could always take the shopping list to other mechanics for a price quote.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 11:01 am
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: 01 PT various problems

thats a lot of repairs i would take it to another mech. someone you know and have him take a look to see how much all this would cost.Hooligan and crewzin are right about the timing belt and the other items that go along with it,lets us know how things go
Old 23 Dec 2010, 12:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I trust this mechanic, so I imagine the repairs are legit.

The question is do I spend 3,300 on a car that's only worth that at most?

Grgg
Old 23 Dec 2010, 12:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggblue View Post
I trust this mechanic, so I imagine the repairs are legit.

The question is do I spend 3,300 on a car that's only worth that at most?

Grgg
As I said before, people will wonder what is wrong with it. As long as it had been a reliable car, I would fix it and know my daughter still has a reliable one. IF you were to get a replacement, how much would you have to put into it?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 23 Dec 2010, 12:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

You have to ask yourself how much you really like your car. It may only have a "book" of x dollars but if you really like the car the intrinsic value may be a lot more. A new or used car is going to cost a lot more than the repairs and if the car is okay otherwise you can probably get several more years out of it. I have a 13 year old Town & Country van that I just spent $1000 on to replace the radiator, water pump, hoses, thermostat, drive belt and pulleys and a new headliner but otherwise it's in good shape and will probably go for several more years. Sure beats a monthly car payment. We had an early 02' PT that I was planning to drive for as long as I could until some knot head t-boned my wife and it was totaled. I really liked that old car and wish I had it back. The first 2 years of the PT were the best in my estimation so unless the annual repair costs aren't too bad I'd hang on to it. I don't know if it will become a classic someday but it should and if so you might see the value go up and not down. It's a lot of money to spend but you have to work the numbers to see what works best for you.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 01:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

+1 on the timing belt...that's pretty much a given. But, on the other issues with the power steering, I had my Caravan towed to a dealer when a power steering hose burst and I had RED steering fluid all over everything. They quoted me a CRAP load of stuff to replace; trans modulator valve, power steering cooler, the power steering hose..etc. the only thing I needed was the damaged hose..low pressure side..it was $11.00. The steering cooler I knew was a flat out lie..I had removed it a few mos before because it WAS leaking..I just by-passed it. When I asked them to check it again to be sure it WAS leaking..they said it was! The modulator valve was just covered in red fluid from the hose breaking, the trans fluid level had never been low so I KNEW there was no leak...My point? Get another opinion(s)...the reason "some" dealers are so big..is because they know how to STEAL better than others!!