PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cant pass emissions test

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 28 Dec 2010, 03:00 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10
Default cant pass emissions test

the motor for the most part has been rebuilt. car runs smooth, no missing, no "check engine light" yet it keeps giving "not ready" codes to the machine that conducts the test. something about having a dead battery, or jumpstartingcausing the computer to reboot and leaving these not ready codes on board. suggested solution: putting some mileage on it should reset these "not readys". anyone ever dealt with something like this. im used to responding to a diagnostic code, making the repair, thus eliminating the code. i dont get this nothing to fix approach
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 28 Dec 2010, 07:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 27,749
Default Re: cant pass emissions test

There's a couple people that have come to the forum when they get 10 flashes from the computer upon startup that signals "not ready". Nobody has come up with a solution. The best you can try is resetting the computer by taking off the negative battery cable for about 30 minutes. Two other things have been suggested while the cables off (but not proven). 1) step on the brake pedal which somehow helps in the clearing of the computer 2) take both negative and positive cables off the battery and just for a split second, touch them together. Not sure exactly what that does but supposed to help with computer problems also. I'm just passing on what I've read on the forums. Don't know if it will help your situation.
__________________
Rules of the forum have been updated as of *07/07/2019* Please read them over.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 28 Dec 2010, 08:48 am
chigger_ns's Avatar
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 278
Default Re: cant pass emissions test

On a hunch run some fuel injector cleaner through it. I have a different vehicle that ran ok but would not give me a ready or green light on an emissions test.
__________________
2001 PT 5 speed Touring Edition
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 28 Dec 2010, 09:34 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 22
Default Re: cant pass emissions test

Quote:
Originally Posted by buztanut View Post
the motor for the most part has been rebuilt. car runs smooth, no missing, no "check engine light" yet it keeps giving "not ready" codes to the machine that conducts the test. something about having a dead battery, or jumpstartingcausing the computer to reboot and leaving these not ready codes on board. suggested solution: putting some mileage on it should reset these "not readys". anyone ever dealt with something like this. im used to responding to a diagnostic code, making the repair, thus eliminating the code. i dont get this nothing to fix approach
Here in Texas the emissions test will fail if the battery has been disconnected in the recent past. There needs to be a certain amount of engine run time to store the "clean" data from your engine. Have read about this in other places - it's not just a PT thing, it's all vehicle computers.

The person running the emissions test should've been able to explain that (if they've been properly trained). I had some corrosion and pulled the battery cable to clean it up and then drove about a month before my last emissions test and it was good to go then.

Hope it works out for you, just don't keep pulling the cables in hopes it goes away.

Phill
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 28 Dec 2010, 10:04 am
Dino's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 1,839
Default Re: cant pass emissions test

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillRoath View Post
Here in Texas the emissions test will fail if the battery has been disconnected in the recent past. There needs to be a certain amount of engine run time to store the "clean" data from your engine. Have read about this in other places - it's not just a PT thing, it's all vehicle computers.

Yep same in NY, my mechanic tells me it's a pain in the ass dealing with an engine light problem because every time you change something you need to clear out the computer and than drive the car for a while or you can't inspect.
__________________



"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 28 Dec 2010, 10:25 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10
Default Re: cant pass emissions test

yeah phillroath: here in dallas, this is the first time ive ever had this happen on any car. i just wonder how to tell the cops this story while im waiting for this car to be ready. you know how they get
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 28 Dec 2010, 10:30 am
Dino's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 1,839
Default Re: cant pass emissions test

Quote:
Originally Posted by buztanut View Post
yeah phillroath: here in dallas, this is the first time ive ever had this happen on any car. i just wonder how to tell the cops this story while im waiting for this car to be ready. you know how they get
In NY they can give you a temporary inspection ticket good for 15 days, ask your mechanic
__________________



"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stage 1 Did not Pass California Smog Test nitrouspt Stage Turbo Kits 5 28 Oct 2009 09:16 pm
Stage 1 passed TX emissions test JohnM Stage Turbo Kits 6 11 Jul 2005 04:55 pm
Emissions Test With Stage One 2step Stage Turbo Kits 12 04 Jan 2005 01:40 am
S1 & Emissions? crazie.eddie Stage Turbo Kits 8 29 Aug 2004 03:39 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors