Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cant pass emissions test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2010, 03:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default cant pass emissions test

the motor for the most part has been rebuilt. car runs smooth, no missing, no "check engine light" yet it keeps giving "not ready" codes to the machine that conducts the test. something about having a dead battery, or jumpstartingcausing the computer to reboot and leaving these not ready codes on board. suggested solution: putting some mileage on it should reset these "not readys". anyone ever dealt with something like this. im used to responding to a diagnostic code, making the repair, thus eliminating the code. i dont get this nothing to fix approach
Old 28 Dec 2010, 07:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: cant pass emissions test

There's a couple people that have come to the forum when they get 10 flashes from the computer upon startup that signals "not ready". Nobody has come up with a solution. The best you can try is resetting the computer by taking off the negative battery cable for about 30 minutes. Two other things have been suggested while the cables off (but not proven). 1) step on the brake pedal which somehow helps in the clearing of the computer 2) take both negative and positive cables off the battery and just for a split second, touch them together. Not sure exactly what that does but supposed to help with computer problems also. I'm just passing on what I've read on the forums. Don't know if it will help your situation.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Dec 2010, 08:48 am
Cool Cruiser

On a hunch run some fuel injector cleaner through it. I have a different vehicle that ran ok but would not give me a ready or green light on an emissions test.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 28 Dec 2010, 09:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by buztanut View Post
the motor for the most part has been rebuilt. car runs smooth, no missing, no "check engine light" yet it keeps giving "not ready" codes to the machine that conducts the test. something about having a dead battery, or jumpstartingcausing the computer to reboot and leaving these not ready codes on board. suggested solution: putting some mileage on it should reset these "not readys". anyone ever dealt with something like this. im used to responding to a diagnostic code, making the repair, thus eliminating the code. i dont get this nothing to fix approach
Here in Texas the emissions test will fail if the battery has been disconnected in the recent past. There needs to be a certain amount of engine run time to store the "clean" data from your engine. Have read about this in other places - it's not just a PT thing, it's all vehicle computers.

The person running the emissions test should've been able to explain that (if they've been properly trained). I had some corrosion and pulled the battery cable to clean it up and then drove about a month before my last emissions test and it was good to go then.

Hope it works out for you, just don't keep pulling the cables in hopes it goes away.

Phill
Old 28 Dec 2010, 10:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillRoath View Post
Here in Texas the emissions test will fail if the battery has been disconnected in the recent past. There needs to be a certain amount of engine run time to store the "clean" data from your engine. Have read about this in other places - it's not just a PT thing, it's all vehicle computers.

Yep same in NY, my mechanic tells me it's a pain in the ass dealing with an engine light problem because every time you change something you need to clear out the computer and than drive the car for a while or you can't inspect.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 28 Dec 2010, 10:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

yeah phillroath: here in dallas, this is the first time ive ever had this happen on any car. i just wonder how to tell the cops this story while im waiting for this car to be ready. you know how they get
Old 28 Dec 2010, 10:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by buztanut View Post
yeah phillroath: here in dallas, this is the first time ive ever had this happen on any car. i just wonder how to tell the cops this story while im waiting for this car to be ready. you know how they get
In NY they can give you a temporary inspection ticket good for 15 days, ask your mechanic

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson