Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Fues Designations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2010, 12:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Fues Designations

Does anyone have a listing of the under-hood fuse designations for the 2001 PT Cruiser? Is there only one IOD (Ignition Off Draw) fuse - which one?

Purchased used 2001- but it will sit before being moved and I've been told that pulling the IOD fuse will prevent battery discharge - but car is in Florida and I'm in Virginia.

A fuse diagram or numbering would be a big help - don't have a manual here either.

As an aside, any good way to tell if the timing belt has been replaced? Car has high mileage (over 100,000).

Thanks to the Forum!
Old 31 Dec 2010, 01:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Fues Designations

Here ya go. The picture is from the owners manual and it's 180 degrees from the actual box in the engine compartment. The round circle is the positive bolt that you use to jump start the engine. The IOD fuse is #17. I can tell you how to tell if the timing belt is broke when the car won't start but not sure how to tell if it's been replaced.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 31 Dec 2010 at 01:09 pm.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the quick reply. I was told pulling up on that fuse will disable all the "Stuff" that would draw current and cause the battery to discharge.

I'm assuming the computer module is still drawing some current, since the car should still start with the IOD fuse out.

Yes- a broken timing belt would cause the car not to start - but a stretched belt could really bend the valves.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 01:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, I haven't actually read these but maybe it will answer your question:

Timing Belt - how to tell if its been changed?

Question: How do I tell if timing belt has been replaced? - The Ford Focus Forum | Powered by Focaljet

How can i tell IF the timing belt was really changed ??? (best, engines) - Automotive -Sports cars, sedans, coupes, SUVs, trucks, motorcycles, tickets, dealers, repairs, gasoline, drivers... - City-Data Forum

How to tell if Timing belt is bad/ or has been replaced - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Answers.com - How can you tell if the timing belt has been replaced on a '98 Honda Passport

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 02:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie2401 View Post
- but a stretched belt could really bend the valves.

Ahhh! I don't why I didn't pick up on that. Thanks Chromenut. While it's true a valve or two can bend if your at high engine revs when the timing belt breaks (which very seldom happens if you check all the posts where people have gone too far before the belt change), timing belts don't stretch.

From a very reliable source:

"Contrary to what you might think, rubber timing belts do not stretch with accumulated mileage and wear. They are reinforced with strands of fiberglass which makes them virtually unstretchable. After making the crankshaft to cam drive circuit millions of times, the strands can become brittle and may begin to break. Eventually the reinforcing cords give way, the belt snaps and the engine quits."

Old 31 Dec 2010, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I think we may have gotten a little of topic - can anyone list, by fuse number, what the other fuses do in the diagram that was supplied (and very much appreciated)?

Thanks
Old 31 Dec 2010, 07:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Well, I guess she told us.... here, rather than say something wrong, I'll just post the fuse designators from the service manual....

Thanks - but is this the Power Distribution Fuse Block in the Engine Compartment that has the IOD fuse - or is this the one inside the driver compartment?

See Original Post - "Does anyone have a listing of the under-hood fuse designations for the 2001 PT Cruiser?"

I was really looking for the designations from the image posted by CREWZIN earlier in this thread.

Sorry for the confusion - I don't have access to the Owner's Manual at this time and am a long distance from the actual car.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 07:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Chromenut, I don't recognize what you put in that post either.

fuse
1 ignition start
2 ABS pump
3 ignition run
4 spare
5 radiator fan
6 power height adjuster
7 ABS solenoid
8 electric back light
9 spare
10 ext ighting, RKEM, alarm, door locks
11 A/C
12 stop lamps
13 fuel pump
14 horn
15ETAX
16 spare
17 IOD
18 hazard
19 power outlets
20 spare
21 fog lights (export only)
22 spare

Old 01 Jan 2011, 12:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie2401 View Post
I'm assuming the computer module is still drawing some current, since the car should still start with the IOD fuse out.
Uh, no it won't since I'm pretty sure this effectively shuts off the fuel pump...
Old 01 Jan 2011, 08:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

A big "Thank You" to all that replied - the list that CREWZIN posted, along with the image was exactly what I needed. (I hope these didn't change with the different models - Base, Touring, etc.)

We will pull Fuse #17 - which should kill anything drawing current with the ignition off (sort of makes sense - "Ignition Off Draw" - all the memory functions, radio, etc.)

If what I've been told is correcrt, this is how the factory ships new cars - cars will run but the battery doesn't draw down while the car sits in transit - and dealerships put the fuse back in once the car has been serviced and ready for sale.

The reason I was so interested in the full listing is that I saw some posts where several fuses were designated as "IOD-This" and "IOD-That"

With your help, it looks like this model has only one true IOD fuse.

Again - Thank You to the Forum Members for the help.

Last edited by Roxie2401; 01 Jan 2011 at 08:20 am.