Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Trailer Wiring Harness Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jan 2011, 03:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Trailer Wiring Harness Problem

I had a trailer hitch installed on my 2004 PT Turbo, and I noticed the other day that I have continuous power going to my plug. I noticed this when I plugged in a hitch cover that lights up, and it had power to it and was on before I even turned my lights on from the car.

They ran a power wire all the way up to the battery, which I need to remove and run the power wire into the tail light wires,so it will only have power while the car's lights are actually on, so my question is, does anyone know which wire it is?
Old 01 Jan 2011, 03:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Trailer Wiring Harness Problem

The tail lights are easy enough to take off, one screw. Then you slide the light up and out. Here's the wiring diagram for the lights. You can pick the correct wire that is hot for the running light and splice into it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Jan 2011, 09:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info Crewzin!
Old 11 Jan 2012, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Can either of you let me know how that turned out? My understanding is that newer vehicles with oodles of computers/modules use very low amperage to vehicle lighting. Tapping into the wiring on new cars like we did in the past on old cars (pre-'96 I'd say) would cause problems to the vehicle's circuits/wiring. Hence the battery tap and wiring back to the converter. It supplies power to the trailer lighting, not the rear harness on the vehicle.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 06:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Actually you don't have to worry about loading your circuits pre-2006. It's in 2006 that they came out with the CAN buss, and that system is really a PITA to deal with.

Now, on my PT I had wired up for trailer lights even though I've not got a hitch yet. When I get enough money I'm going to buy a PT Trailer I think but may end up getting an AST trailer so I can drag my bike around with me.

What I did for my wiring was run a hot lead from the battery to the area in the trunk covered by the plastic near the fender well (inside the trunk). I have a simple relay bolted in there and grounded. Hot lead to one side, then the switched side goes to the turn signal wires for the tail lights. One on each side, just spliced the other side into the single hot line in parallel, and the turn signal indicators and brake lamps control the relay switching. Fairly easy job, takes a bit of wire but not that big of a deal.

I had all my stuff originally wired in directly, without using the relays, and one night while driving through Indianapolis, I got pulled over for no tail lights. The load burned out my MFS, so after getting it replaced I redid my wiring and now everything runs through relays, even my horns!