Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Stalls After Getting Off High Way

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jan 2011, 06:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Stalls After Getting Off High Way

Hopfully someone can help me with my problem.....

Recently i went on a long Trip (Atlanta to Orlando). When i left i had a full tank of gas and drove the whole tank out ( approx 320 Miles @ avg of 74mph) and when exiting for gas when coming to a complete stop the car died. When i tried to restart it would not start (tried to turn over but would not). After waiting approx 10min the car restarted. This happend 3 more times during the course of the trip and it only occured when i was on the highway for long periods of time 2.5hours+ at speeds over 70mph. Any suggestions???? Car has not acted up since then but all my driving has been city.

Thanks

Rich
Old 01 Jan 2011, 06:20 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: PT Stalls After Getting Off High Way

Did your engine light come on before stalling?
Old 01 Jan 2011, 06:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBluePT View Post
Did your engine light come on before stalling?
It previously had a P4055 and P4026 (Evap Leak Codes).... But these codes had been on for a while and i had driven from Atl to Detroit with these codes and no stalling issues.
Old 02 Jan 2011, 08:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Bump for some help
Old 02 Jan 2011, 09:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich09 View Post
Hopfully someone can help me with my problem.....

Recently i went on a long Trip (Atlanta to Orlando). When i left i had a full tank of gas and drove the whole tank out ( approx 320 Miles @ avg of 74mph) and when exiting for gas when coming to a complete stop the car died. When i tried to restart it would not start (tried to turn over but would not). After waiting approx 10min the car restarted. This happend 3 more times during the course of the trip and it only occured when i was on the highway for long periods of time 2.5hours+ at speeds over 70mph. Any suggestions???? Car has not acted up since then but all my driving has been city.
When you say you drove the entire tank out, did you go until you were on the E for empty?

I've heard that if you do that, you expose the fuel pump which is cooled by the gas around it and possibly were having problems there until it cooled off.

Just a wild guess, I never go below 1/4 tank.

Phill
Old 02 Jan 2011, 09:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Rich, welcome to the forum.

First, no need need to bump your own post because anyone coming to the forum that hasn't seen it will see that there's a new post in this section of the forum. Second, it was 6am Sunday morning when you posted so your lucky you have the responses that you received.

Phil, could be on the right track with the fuel pump. You have 67K miles on your PT, there's bound to be sediment at the bottom of the tank and by driving "the whole tank out" you could have picked up some of that debris into the filter and even up to the injectors, and as was pointed out, the pump is cooled and lubricated by the gas in the tank. It could also have been overheated. Since you don't d that kind of driving now and the tank stay relatively full, the problem goes away. Just a thought.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Jan 2011, 03:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Rich09: Crewzin's thoughts make sense. Those issues aren't limited to PT Cruisers. I'd ask how many gallons it took to fill up. If the tank was really low, the filter or screen may have been sort of stopped up. That, combined with whatever is mildly wrong with the evaporative emission control system, may have caused the ECM system to just tell the car not to start at all.

But your statement that the engine's failure to even turn over, "tried to turn over but would not," sounds more like an overheated or maybe failing starter, or a failing battery, or a combination of the two. An overheated or hot starter will demand more amperes to turn over than a battery may be able to deliver. Once the starter cools off, all may be well, and it may only take ten minutes for that to happen. Short trips at lower speeds won't build up the heat that sustained 75 mph will.

It might not even be the starter. Corrosion in the positive battery terminal, and deep within the positive cable will reduce the amperage that the cable can carry, and starve the starter. The effect will be to make it seem that the starter or battery are bad. A cable can look OK, but corrosion can have eaten away the copper wire inside the plastic insulation. This happens to a lot of PT Cruisers and other cars with regular flooded-cell lead-acid batteries. It's where I'd look first.
Old 02 Jan 2011, 05:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillRoath View Post
When you say you drove the entire tank out, did you go until you were on the E for empty?

I've heard that if you do that, you expose the fuel pump which is cooled by the gas around it and possibly were having problems there until it cooled off.

Just a wild guess, I never go below 1/4 tank.

Phill
It happened when i was at 3/4 of a tank also. I thought that it was low gas at first until it happened several more times on long trips when gas level was high.
Old 02 Jan 2011, 06:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

it sounds like the idle air control valve is sticking. or a glitch in the tps. they will cause a car to stall after highway driving and then stopping will also make it hard to restart. not good to guss. you need a scanner to look at data pids to see if in range. they will not set a code if out of range the car just thinks the throttle is open. a lock up converter switch in the trans also causes a stall off the highway but will restart after it dies. when it starts does the idle go up and down if so that is usally the idle air cotrol valve. if so sometimes you can take the throttle bore off and clean them. in the shop i always replace because i don't want a come back. but on my own cars i will clean first if it don't work i only lost time.
Old 02 Jan 2011, 07:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by genes10 View Post
it sounds like the idle air control valve is sticking. or a glitch in the tps. they will cause a car to stall after highway driving and then stopping will also make it hard to restart. not good to guss. you need a scanner to look at data pids to see if in range. they will not set a code if out of range the car just thinks the throttle is open. a lock up converter switch in the trans also causes a stall off the highway but will restart after it dies. when it starts does the idle go up and down if so that is usally the idle air cotrol valve. if so sometimes you can take the throttle bore off and clean them. in the shop i always replace because i don't want a come back. but on my own cars i will clean first if it don't work i only lost time.
I agree that this is also a good place to check. I remember carburetors.