Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Just inherited an '01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jan 2011, 08:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Just inherited an '01

I bought a new Subaru a few months back, and after driving my wife's '01 PT promptly gave it to her (was a rattling deathtrap). As it's my daily driver now, I've been playing catch-up on maintenance. About a year ago I replaced the exhaust system and that clankety clank wishbone in the rear suspension.

2 weeks ago when the cold weather hit, I replaced the thermostat (original actually cracked in half) as well as the air filter and spark plugs (Champions -w- 123k miles had a gap of .100!!!).

Last week I had the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler pulley, lower control bar, sway bar links, front pads and rotors replaced, and a tranny flush. With a 123k miles, my mother in law owned it before my wife, and I think the only maintenance it ever got was oil changes, brakes, and tires.

I think I'm good at the moment, going to throw a set of good snow tires on it.

Only lingering questions I have at the moment involve the idle speed as well as the fuel gauge. When running in neutral, the engine idles around 1500RPM, is this the norm? Second, it is hit or miss when I fuel it up that I will actually fuel the entire tank. Some days it will fill completely, other days the pump will stop with about a gallon to go - and since I generally gas up in Jersey, they yank the nozzle out before I can say 'wait!'

Is there any sort of accessible vent hose for the tank that may need to be cleaned?

Other than that, I'm actually enjoying the PT, hoping to get another year or two out of it before I retire it for something AWD (likely not another Subaru, I've been spoiled by the convenience features that even 10 year old Dodge's have).

It's an '01, 2.4, Auto - base model.

Cheers,
--SJ
Old 03 Jan 2011, 10:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Just inherited an '01

Welcome to the forum, I bet that PT is glad that someone finally is taking care of it. It's amazing it ran all those years with no maintenance, it's a good car.

Your RPM seems high, when I'm in park I idle about 700.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03 Jan 2011, 11:08 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.1500 is too high in neutral.Does it still idle that high after it warms up?
Old 03 Jan 2011, 11:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yep, idle stays at about 1500 after it has warmed up. Only realized this because I tend to put it in neutral at stop lights and when coasting downhill. Drops down to about 750 if I leave it in drive at a stop light, which I'd guess is normal.

Any place to start looking in regard to the high idle?

Thanks,
--SJ
Old 03 Jan 2011, 11:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Going to take a look at any vacuum lines... I think I'm ok there but I'll give it the cigarette test.

--SJ
Old 03 Jan 2011, 01:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Was a loose vacuum line, now it idles around 800-850. Still curious about the fuel tank though.
Old 03 Jan 2011, 01:36 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Glad to hear you got the idle taken care of.Dont know about the fuel tank though.Others have had similar problems so I'm sure someone will chime in.
Old 03 Jan 2011, 01:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

on my 06 when i fill it up (every day) it will kick off with a easy gallon still that can go into the tank it depends on how fast they try to fill tha tank i can have the pump kick off and if i am patient i can easly get a full gallon in it id sy that is how they are made
Old 03 Jan 2011, 06:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

You can also remove the Throttle boddy, yank the AIS and TPS sensors of it and give it a good cleaning, probably carboned up pretty good if it has never been touched before.

Cant help you with the fuel tank, You have someone pump your gas???

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 03 Jan 2011, 07:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I live in NY, but am 10 minutes from the NJ border, where gas is $.10 to $.25 less per gallon depending on the station. In NJ, every station is full service, it's actually illegal to pump your own... makes no sense to me though!