Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

How to change the thermostat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jan 2011, 04:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Question How to change the thermostat?

Hi,

How should I change my thermostat? It seems always to be in the open position.

I don't have many tools, probably some wrenches and screwdrivers, but am not eager to work on a car I don't know.
It's also our only car, so I don't dare to modify anything to it,lest I'd destroy it.

So should I:
Go to advanced autoparts and purchase a thermostat for the pt cruiser,and install it myself, or

Go to a garage to let it be done.

Also, any regular gas station garage, do they have a fitting thermostat,or should I get one?

What would the avg price be for a thermostat change and parts?

Thanks!
Old 03 Jan 2011, 04:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: How to change the thermostat?

Thermostat should run you between $5 to $10, and that could include shipping. If it's stuck open I'd be less worried about changing it, but it is an easy thing you should be able to do. Search the this site for a "how to", if you don't find one I'm sure someone will post something.

Invest in a Hayes manual, that would be a great place to start.
Old 03 Jan 2011, 04:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

NAPA sells a new type of thermostate( or so they say) anyway its called a fail safe IF it stiockes it only sticks open mine was $12

it is a easy change it is right in the frount of the car easy to get to and i dont think you really need any thing more than a 1/4 socket set you will have to read about bleading the system btu it is a easy thing to replace

I'm sure there is a sticky on it or CREWZIN will post one.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 03 Jan 2011 at 05:08 pm.
Old 03 Jan 2011, 05:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here ya go .....

How to Change the Thermostat on a PT Cruiser | eHow.com

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 03 Jan 2011, 07:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for the illustration CREWZIN!

I'm not so fond of working on my car, perhaps if it's easy I can see if my local car repairs guy can do it for me... Once I have a reserve car, I won't mind experimenting with it.
Old 03 Jan 2011, 07:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for the illustration CREWZIN!

I'm not so fond of working on my car, perhaps if it's easy I can see if my local car repairs guy can do it for me... Once I have a reserve car, I won't mind experimenting with it.
Old 03 Jan 2011, 08:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

this is very helpful. seems pretty easy. but if you're not sure about doing your own repairs then i would be a good thing for you to take it to a mechanic. I know there's some things i wont touch.
Old 04 Jan 2011, 03:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

If you change it yourself, make sure you put thermostat in so it clears webbing. When installed you should see that thermostat fits up in recess.
I had got a O wrongley filler and thermostat. I did not make sure it went all the way in recess, so it broke the plastic housing. I proved to them there gasket they had for me would not work. They did replace my housing, had to get the gasket at another parts store.
Old 04 Jan 2011, 09:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

First off, you need a Hayne's Manual from an auto parts store. You need special tools to change the thermostat on a PT ... well, special meaning a torque wrench that measure inch pounds, ratchet, sockets, etc. ... not really all that special, I suppose.

After reading the Hayne's Manual section on changing the thermostat, take note that you have to remove the upper manifold to get to the thermostat and it's attached upper radiator hose. Also, you should buy an OEM thermostat from the dealer because there's a "nub" on the pre-installed thermostat gasket that fits into the thermostat housing cover, and the Chrysler thermostat has the nub put into the exact position on the thermostat, so that when you install it into the upper thermostat housing (upside-down), the thermostat is positioned exactly where it should be.

Torqueing the nuts on the thermostat housing is critical (as well as the upper manifold bolts). Hayne's tells you the proper torque, 115 and 105 inch pounds respectively ....

Hm? The above stuff is only a fraction of what you need to know ... and do. If all you have is a few tools, then better let a mechanic do the work.

But don't go around with a stuck-open thermostat. It makes your PT use more gas, and when it gets cold outside, your heater will not be all that warm.

Tim
Old 31 Jan 2011, 02:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

a godo sharp razor blad this has to be one of the easiest theromasts i have ever replaced it is way harder getting the clamps off the hoses than changing the thermostate