PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replacement parts, again feeling some serious Chrysler RIPP OFF!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jan 2011, 07:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Angry Replacement parts, again feeling some serious Chrysler RIPP OFF!

Serously, I went to advanced auto parts, that can order parts straight from the dealer, all original, no aftermarkets, and wanted to order wheel studs.

THIS IS NO JOKE!:
1 wheelstud, $24,99!!!!!

SERIOUS RIPP OFF!!!!

Went to Autozone, to get aftermarkets, I thought to pay more like upto $5 per item, they sold them to me for $1,99.

Now thats something else!
I really feel chrysler will lose me as a future customer for selling their parts so ridiculously expensive!

With items that you can get from the aftermarket, I have no issues. But there are items that need to be changed (like timer belt) that I probably won't be able to get from the aftermarket...
Old 04 Jan 2011, 08:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Replacement parts, again feeling some serious Chrysler RIPP OFF!

That's NOTHIN'! A few wks ago just for grins I went to my local Chrysler dealer..I~I mean STEALER to get a quote on some exhaust parts & a few other things
; I don't need any yet just wanted to get an idea what I'll be into.
I'll save the "small" stuff for another day. The converter for my '01 NA...get this: $1835.00 Just the converter, after I picked myself up off the floor...ANOTHER $200.00 for the core!! Holy CRAP! Now, those are list prices,but, even with my "discount" the converter is still $1470.00..THAT does not include taxes, here that means another 13%
So, go buy a bag full of those studs..before they go up in price!..whew..I feel weak just thinking about this
Old 04 Jan 2011, 11:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've found aftermarket parts are normal priced, or even cheaper than I'd expect.

I bought the hook that keeps up the reserve tire frame for $130 from chrysler. If I go to a mechanic place, they can handmake that for less!

If they're mass produced, Chrysler could easily sell em for $25; $15 even! Instead, they sell em 10x as expensive!

If Chrysler would sell it twice as expensive as aftermarket parts, there will at least be still some people buying their products.

Now they sell it so expensive, that noone will get it from there.

I can't believe you actually payed that amount for the item.
Just to inform you, I purchased my PT Cruiser secondhand for just over the price you have payed for that one item!

Last edited by ProDigit; 04 Jan 2011 at 11:40 pm.
Old 05 Jan 2011, 08:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
. But there are items that need to be changed (like timer belt) that I probably won't be able to get from the aftermarket...
Timing belt "kit"

RockAuto Parts Catalog

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Jan 2011, 08:58 am
Regular Cruiser

I needed a wheel bearing replaced. Dealer shop tells me the whole knuckle need to be replaced. About $900. Between the bearing and taking it to a shop to have it pressed in, $90 my cost. Any wonder the auto industry gets in trouble.
Old 05 Jan 2011, 10:06 am
Senior Cruiser

Not all dealers are rip offs, I have gotten great prices from these guys. Example I needed a cam position sensor they charged like 33 bucks another local dealer wanted 60 something. Another time I needed a radiator petcock and they were a few bucks and the other dealer wanted 13 bucks. So shop around, you can also find actual Chrysler part dealers on line if you can wait.

Wantagh Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep Auto Parts & Accessories | Freeport, Levittown, NY | Merrick Dodge Chrysler Jeep

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05 Jan 2011, 07:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Not all dealers are rip offs, I have gotten great prices from these guys....
I would agree, there was one mechanic who gave me the advise to get $20 bushings from the aftermarket (as chrysler did not sell the bushings, and instead wanted to replace the whole thing for $180 + working hours).
Old 05 Jan 2011, 09:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

two words "union pay"
verses china, taiwan, etc... pay, drive the cost up
Old 05 Jan 2011, 11:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing777 View Post
two words "union pay"
verses china, taiwan, etc... pay, drive the cost up
Not to start an argument here, and no offense intended, but that statement is just not correct. Just 27% of the Cruiser's parts are domestic. The car was assembled in Mexico. The parts we mainly buy in the aftermarket (sensors, etc.) are not made in America. These parts are simply marked up by the manufacturers and dealers for revenue.

The most "American" car (in terms of domestic parts) per New & Used Cars for Sale, Auto Dealers, Car Reviews and Car Finance Advice is the Toyota Camry, with the Honda Accord in second. It is sickening that "American" car companies advertise themselves as such, when car companies with headquarters in other nations have cars with a greater percentage of domestic parts.

Sorry, rant over....
Old 06 Jan 2011, 07:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrosenthal View Post
Not to start an argument here, and no offense intended, but that statement is just not correct. Just 27% of the Cruiser's parts are domestic. The car was assembled in Mexico. The parts we mainly buy in the aftermarket (sensors, etc.) are not made in America. These parts are simply marked up by the manufacturers and dealers for revenue.

The most "American" car (in terms of domestic parts) per New & Used Cars for Sale, Auto Dealers, Car Reviews and Car Finance Advice is the Toyota Camry, with the Honda Accord in second. It is sickening that "American" car companies advertise themselves as such, when car companies with headquarters in other nations have cars with a greater percentage of domestic parts.

Sorry, rant over....
Yep my old Nissan Xterra was made in Tennessee, heard some shat from guys because I had a Harley sticker on it and they thought you shouldn't put a HD sticker on a Jap car.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson