PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Computer reset

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2011, 11:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Computer reset

This isn't my first post regarding this situation, but I just want to make sure I don't mess up anything. I recently replaced an ABS sensor, and I need to reset the computer. There have been some solutions online, such as disconnecting the battery and holding down the brake pedal or horn to drain out the power. I was told by a mechanic to pull off one of the cables and touch it to the other. Has anyone tried any of these methods?
Old 07 Jan 2011, 12:10 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: Computer reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd1991 View Post
This isn't my first post regarding this situation, but I just want to make sure I don't mess up anything. I recently replaced an ABS sensor, and I need to reset the computer. There have been some solutions online, such as disconnecting the battery and holding down the brake pedal or horn to drain out the power. I was told by a mechanic to pull off one of the cables and touch it to the other. Has anyone tried any of these methods?
I have never heard of anything like that, i've reset my comp a few time's already just by disconnecting the neg battery cable. that's all you have to do, none of this other crazy stuff. sorry if i sound a bit rude, i don't mean to be but the mechanic thing is kinda rubbing me the wrong way.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 08:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I've heard of all of the ways you described EXCEPT when you go to touch both cables together, they should both be OFF the battery. Don't leave one attached to either post.

There is some electricity still stored in the engine when you take the negative cable off and some mechanics advice you take both cables off and touch them together, step on the brake pedal or blow the horn until there is no power left. This will deplete all electrical components of having power, including the car's central computer.

Wait 10 to 15 minutes for the memory banks to clear. Many cars have a safety feature built into the computer where the memory will remain unaltered for a period of time after being cut off from a power supply.

Most of the time, just taking the negative cable off for 10 minutes is enough to clear any problem you might have.

Some of what I've said comes from an Internet source.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 07 Jan 2011, 02:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Never touch the cables together weather they are connected to a battery or not!!!

You reset the computer by removing the ground from the battery or if you want to be extra sure remove both. Wait about 15min as the guy above me said then reconnect everything.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 06:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBBERtoad View Post
Never touch the cables together weather they are connected to a battery or not!!!
Rubbertoad ? What is your source for your remarks on touching the cables together?

I can bring up sight after sight that gives the same advise.

Here's from one site:

5. Try disconnecting BOTH negative and positive terminals of the battery. Then touch the cables to each other only, while not attached to the battery. This can reset the immo system. Again, don't touch the cables to the battery, touch them only to each other while both are disconnected from the battery - you don't want to short the battery out. Also step on the brakes - this turns on the brake lights and discharges any stored electricity.

Anther one from ALL EXPERTS:

I experienced the very same problem when replacing the cluster. Remove battery cables and connect them together for 30 seconds. Reconnect them then try to start the car. It should now run fine. The anti-theft system is in the instrument cluster, and the car thinks that it is being tampered with. This procedure lets the computer "learn" the s/n of the replacement instrument cluster so that it won't cause it to shutdown the next time.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 10:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Isn't there a small charge left in the capacitor(s) for the air bag system? Could touching the cables together too soon set them off? Just wondering??
Old 08 Jan 2011, 07:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner View Post
Isn't there a small charge left in the capacitor(s) for the air bag system? Could touching the cables together too soon set them off? Just wondering??
Something to read ...
Air Bags: How They Work