Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
stuck oil filler cap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2011, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default stuck oil filler cap

I'm in a pickle. I need to drive 500k tomorrow and my oil is low and the filler cap is stuck.

It has one of those ratchet tops and it just spins without gripping the cap below. So perhaps the cap is locked in threads? Or the top ratcheting bit has somehow failed. Any ideas on how to remove or repair it without damaging the the cap?

The trouble is no shops are open here in NZ to buy a new one for next 3 days, so I can't replace it if I break it today.

The engine is hot now, so I'm hoping that the cap will unfreeze when the motor cools down.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 06:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: stuck oil filler cap

I can't help you with getting the top off but you can pull the dipstick to see if you are low on oil and if you are you can pour oil down the dipstick tube to put the right amount in. Then when you have more time, you can work on the cap problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 07:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: stuck oil filler cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I can't help you with getting the top off but you can pull the dipstick to see if you are low on oil and if you are you can pour oil down the dipstick tube to put the right amount in. Then when you have more time, you can work on the cap problem.
and use a funnel with a small tip
Old 07 Jan 2011, 08:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

got it fixed. the hot motor seems to have been the reason it seized. Although one wonders if there was a design flaw after pulling up at a gas station after a long drive and not being able to top up then.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 08:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's always a possibility but your the only one to ever come to the forum with that particular problem. I would think it's a one of a kind bad cap that you have. Might want to think about getting a new one,.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 09:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

You could put a very small short screw in the side of the cap..that would keep it from spinning..at least temporarily.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 09:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thank you all for brainstorming here. I had wondered about pouring oil down the dipstick hole in a pinch. And the screw to lock top against bottom was another good idea. Fortunately, once the engine had cooled the cap came out without a problem.

I'll just need to check oil when cold engine from now on.

I have a 2001 without only 118klm (70k-ish miles) on it. I do notice it seems to burn a lot of oil, about a quart over 6 months. Are PTs known for this. It's got the 2litre engine, which is pretty gutless too.

Thanks again for stepping up to the plate so quickly. If the cap hadn't come open, I'm sure I would have used one of the options listed here.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 11:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Syra, many PT's use about a quart (US) about every 1000 miles. Chrysler says that's normal (well it is for an old 1968 VW, I suppose). Anyway, if you have one of the oil-using PT's just check it every two weeks when the engine has been turned off at least 10 minutes--and top it off between oil changes. Remember to change your oil every 3000 miles, regardless--filter, too.

The oil doesn't seem to leak--and my PT doesn't burn oil, either. I can only assume that the oil goes to the same place those missing socks go to when you do the laundry ....

By the way, what kind of gas mileage do you get with the 2lt. engine?

Tim
Old 08 Jan 2011, 01:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Tim,

"The oil doesn't seem to leak--and my PT doesn't burn oil, either. I can only assume that the oil goes to the same place those missing socks go to when you do the laundry ...."

Funny, I've had the same experience. Where does it go? No black smoke, no drips?

"By the way, what kind of gas mileage do you get with the 2lt. engine"

I get about 24mpg on road, 20 in town. Not very good really. It's been like that from the start. over the last ten years I've driven dozens of 1.6-2 litre French/Italian/Spanish/German diesels and gas models in Europe with a lot more get up and go, and far better gas mileage, many with similar or larger interior space. I've always felt Chrysler missed the boat on its engines with the PT.

I've wondered how the PT diesel worked? Fiat might do some interesting restyling of the PT and maybe add a solid diesel, which might extend its life. They've done a great job with the little remake of the 'bambino' 500.

All that said, down here in NZ PTs are rare, so still turn heads and bring smiles to faces.
Old 08 Jan 2011, 09:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrahnose View Post
Tim,

"The oil doesn't seem to leak--and my PT doesn't burn oil, either. I can only assume that the oil goes to the same place those missing socks go to when you do the laundry ...."

Funny, I've had the same experience. Where does it go? No black smoke, no drips?

"By the way, what kind of gas mileage do you get with the 2lt. engine"

I get about 24mpg on road, 20 in town. Not very good really. It's been like that from the start. over the last ten years I've driven dozens of 1.6-2 litre French/Italian/Spanish/German diesels and gas models in Europe with a lot more get up and go, and far better gas mileage, many with similar or larger interior space. I've always felt Chrysler missed the boat on its engines with the PT.

I've wondered how the PT diesel worked? Fiat might do some interesting restyling of the PT and maybe add a solid diesel, which might extend its life. They've done a great job with the little remake of the 'bambino' 500.

All that said, down here in NZ PTs are rare, so still turn heads and bring smiles to faces.
The PT is no more, Fiat is making different cars in the Mexican factory. Who knows maybe in the future they will bring it back. We never had the diesel in the US which was a major mistake because a lot of us would have bought one.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson