PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Considering buying 2001 cruiser for $400 but needs a water pump, need advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2011, 04:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Considering buying 2001 cruiser for $400 but needs a water pump, need advice!

Hi PT Cruiser Lovers!

My friend has offered me a 2001 PT Cruiser with 143k miles, V4, but it needs water pump and timing belt for $400. I can get that fixed for about 700. Here's my question: For the 1100 I'm going to put into this, how much will I get out? I'm really only looking for a transition car for about a year, and I did talk to her mechanic who said that she's had the oil changed regularly and done all the things needed to the car, she's been the sole owner. My only concern is that if it's the beginning of month to month money pit with those miles. I know there's no guarantees, but do this year and model usually stay pretty good, or are they known to have other probs?

Thanks,
Jody
Old 10 Jan 2011, 05:02 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Considering buying 2001 cruiser for $400 but needs a water pump, need advice!

If all it needs is the timing belt and waterpump I say go for it.If it has been properly maintained it should be fine.Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 05:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Considering buying 2001 cruiser for $400 but needs a water pump, need advice!

I'd be worried about wherever you got the information about the "V4".

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 06:23 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

As mentioned above the car has an inline 4 cylinder not a v4.You should also check the frontend for excessive wear.That is a common wear area for cars with high mileage.

Last edited by SCBluePT; 10 Jan 2011 at 08:06 pm.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 06:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBluePT View Post
As mentioned above the car has an inline 4 cylinder not a v4.
Guess these ole eyes of mine are playing tricks on me. Could have swore it read V4.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 06:44 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Guess these ole eyes of mine are playing tricks on me. Could have swore it read V4.
It does read v4,I was just explaining to the op that it has an inline 4.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 06:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBluePT View Post
It does read v4,I was just explaining to the op that it has an inline 4.

Ooops, hard to tell who's talkin to who. Back on target, With a car at that many miles and that many years, as SCBluePT mentioned above, have that mechanic do a good once-over on the suspension and engine internals (compression) to make sure your not about to run into problems. Take the car for a run and check the heat and A/C and let it sit at idle with the A/C on to see if the water temp stays in the middle of the guage.

Old 10 Jan 2011, 08:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

all good advice from 2 of the coolest ppl on this forum. i say go for it but i agree with the other guys, make sure and have this baby checked out. welcome to the forum by the way, greeting from San Antonio, from Eve(07 touring ed) and I.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 09:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkid1983 View Post
all good advice from 2 of the coolest ppl on this forum. i say go for it but i agree with the other guys, make sure and have this baby checked out. welcome to the forum by the way, greeting from San Antonio, from Eve(07 touring ed) and I.
Always check anything out before you buy, but if it does check out and you can fix it for the price quoted, even for a year or so, it may be okay. You never know, you may drive it even longer than that...
Old 10 Jan 2011, 11:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

And if body is in any shape, I would not think twice. 140,000 miles on any one of my vehicles I would swear I had a new car!