Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Remote Unlocking Issue (battery ?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jan 2011, 07:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Remote Unlocking Issue (battery ?)

Hi

I'm both new to this forum to PT Cruiser ownership. Unfortunately I'm having a rather shakey start!

I purchased the vehicle in December (a 2.4L petrol Cruiser Touring). I live in the Uk so it's a UK model.

Over Christmas I did not use the car for a couple of days, and then when I did attempt to, I found that the battery had drained flat. I called my rescue service and they jump started the vehicle. They advised me that the battery was charging ok and once the car was running that it was getting the correct input from the alternator. They did advise me however that the battery was draining 1.4 amps when the engine was swithched off. I'm not sure of the accuracy of this as they did not allow the car to stand for a sufficient period of time to 'go to sleep'. No electrical apparatus was left on to cause this drain (we checked all the obvious such as internal/external lights, hi fi etc).

After this we used the car every day and the battery has not gone dead but we have had problems opening the car in the mornings. We have to hold the remote locking device right next to the car and press it several times before the car will open. The car has started ok and the locking works fine once the car has had a run.

We took the car into an auto electricians last week. They checked the battery and said that it was fully charged and not draining. They actually kept it for three days without running it and still no problem. It locked and unlocked no problem. It was fine for a couple of days when we picked it up. This morning however, we had the same problem unlocking it (although it started ok).

They company that I bought it from has agreed to take it into a main Chrysler Dealer, but my fear is that if the problem does not occur whilst they have it, they will say that nothing is wrong.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the problem and any ideas on what I should ask the Chrysler dealer to check? Grateful for any suggestions.

Julian Richardson Norwich, England
Old 11 Jan 2011, 07:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Remote Unlocking Issue (battery ?)

Welcome to the Forums.
The 2.4L engine is recent to the UK, I believe, so we are talking of a recent year PT, correct? Reason I am asking is that there are 2 batteries we are talking about - the one in the car that you are focusing on, and the other in the key fob, and I was thinking of a weak battery in the key fob. Have you tried the other remote?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Jan 2011, 09:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi quicksilverdon, thank's for your prompt response.

I should have said in my post that it is a 2007 (May) vehicle. When I first experienced the problem, my first thought was that the batteries in the remote locking devices (keys) might be low so I replaced them both. Unfortunately no joy! As mentioned I had the car in with an auto electrician last week and they found no problem (either with the main car battery or the key fobs). I assumed therefore that during their investigations they must have inadvertently sorted the problem because over the weekend everything was fine and the car unloked ok. This morning however, the problem re-occurred and it took several minutes to get the car to open again. The car started ok when we did manage to get in, and by the time that we got to work, the locks were fine again! The fault is obviously intermittent which doesn't help and as I'm not at all knowledgeable in auto electrics, I am at a loss as to where to begin. Given that running the car improves the situation (it only seems to happen after the car has been idle overnight), it would suggest this is linked to a battery drain. The car usually does start ok however.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 10:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Do you have fog lamps?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 11 Jan 2011, 01:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Hooligan

Thank you for your response. The answer is yes, I have fog lights both front and rear (one only at the rear). Could these in some way be responsible?
Old 11 Jan 2011, 01:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have read of some instances of radio interference with the remote locking/unlocking - anything change with where you park? (like a new power transformer on a utility pole)...
Old 11 Jan 2011, 01:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I can't think that there is. I usually park in the same place and when the car has been recently used it locks and unlocks without problem. I appreciate the suggestion though and I will try varying my parking place as much as I can just to see if there is any difference.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 03:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The reason I asked is because, many have had their multifunction switch (Turn signal switch) short out and it keeps the fog lamps on. I realize you are across the ocean and not sure which side your lever is on looking at the steering wheel.
Some replace the MF switch, others just pull the fuse, but, you may not be able to do that over there. Regulations you know!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 Jan 2011, 07:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll double check this evening. Even if it doen't turn out to be the problem, it's one more thing that I can rule out. The fog light controls are on the end of the directional indicator switch to the left of the steering wheel on uk Cruisers. The rules in this country I believe are that if fog lights are fitted they have to work, otherwise they would fail the annual MOT (Ministry of Transport) test that all cars over 3 years old have to go through> Unfortunately pulling the fuse may not be an option (tempting as it may be).
Old 13 Jan 2011, 11:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Very puzzling.
One more thing to try - I know you said you replaced the batteries in the remotes, but they may have sat for a long time before you bought them - try keeping the key in your pocket and warm it up before you try in the morning - warmth brings up the power in a battery, and since you have to be so close to the car to get it to work, I'm thinking the signal sent from the fob is weak.
It's a long shot, but doesn't cost anything....