Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

2002 PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jan 2011, 04:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 PT Cruiser

Hi all,

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser with 106K miles on it. Within the past year, I've had a good bit of work done on it - new wheel hubs and bearings, new tires, new front brakes and rotors, new struts. I recently had an overheating issue that appears to be resolved. I've never had the timing belt replaced, and an estimate from my mechanic seems like it's an expensive job, between $600-$900.
I'm really interested in feedback from those of you with PT Cruisers with this higher mileage. Can I expect to be putting lots of money into it at this point, and should I instead look for another vehicle? With proper maintenance, is there a way to estimate the life expectancy of this vehicle? As far as I can tell (and my auto mechanic knowledge is quite limited), other things seem to be fine.
I value your advice.
Thanks!
Old 11 Jan 2011, 05:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Cruiser

Don't know anyone on the forum with a crystal ball. The timing belt and things to go with it is the most expense you'll ever have unless you do something bad to the engine. The engine is pretty bullet proof but like anything, things can go wrong. Those that had problems will tell you to sell it and of course those with little or no problems will say to keep it. There's no other car like it. If you feel that way, keep it, take good care of it and keep up with preventative maintenance.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 11 Jan 2011, 05:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin,
Thanks for the reply. I do love the vehicle, and the engine is in great shape. I just wondering what others experience in general with higher mileage pt's has been.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, things that go wrong include overheating: many things on that to include the thermostat, radiator fan, radiator itself, if you used the wrong coolant, a leak somewhere that lets air into the system; front wheel bearings, and bushing in the suspension. That's all I can think of at the moment.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 12 Jan 2011, 07:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am going to go ahead and invest the money into it. With only 106,000 miles on it and with several repairs done in the last year, it seems only reasonable to invest in another 60 or 70 K miles. It is such a fun vehicle to drive.

Thanks for your input

Evan
Old 13 Jan 2011, 12:49 am
Senior Cruiser

ewd, the timing belt (and do the water pump at the same time) should cost closer to $1100.00 ... to be done properly. After that, you might have to replace the radiator fan (not too expensive). Then you should get another 60or 70 thousand miles. I'd also change the automatic trans fluid--if not done already. I did mine at 50,000 and will do it again at 100,000.

My brakes were done at 35,000 miles (the OEM's were not very good), but I had them put in good Raybestos; and after 40,000 more miles, I still have plenty on the pads.

I've had no wheel bearing or front end problems, at all (I have 70,000 miles on my 2003 Limited), and hope for the best.

Tim
Old 13 Jan 2011, 03:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

At 106,000, she still is a little kitten waiting to roar. Same as to others already said.
If you plan on doing timing belt yourself it will still run you in parts anywhere from 250 to 400. That does not include evac of air conditioner.
Another point, if you have a shop do it, make sure they evac air conditioner, and recharging in estimate. Trying to change the timing belt with out removing the lines will probably cause a leak. I will find out this summer I am afraid!
Old 15 Jan 2011, 08:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

The main thing I have found with ANY vehicle is maintenance.... on your part.
Look at your book, don't just wait untill something happens...
My 04 has only had a water pump and timing belt at 146,000.
Brakes, rotors, and other normal wear are to be expected.
I refuse to use ANY cheap auto part on anything I drive!
I have a 89 Dodge van with over 466,000 miles on it and never once has the valve covers been off of it.

Oil.. only Amzoil has ever been used in every car I've owned since the early 70's. Oil changes are done every 20,000 miles, oil filter every 5,000. Air filters, only the best... K&N.

Expensive? Not really, when you add what you spend on stock parts every few thousand miles. Cars are expensive, so why would you not put the best parts on it you can.
Weigh the cost over a few years and you'd be amazed what you save by getting the good stuff!

I've had a 1940 and a 1941 Plymouth street rods for over 20 years, and do you think I put Autozone , or Many, Moe, and Jerkoff parts on them???
No way... I keep all my vehicles as long as I can!!!
Old 15 Jan 2011, 09:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
is there a way to estimate the life expectancy of this vehicle
Not exactly. However you HAVE listed most of the items that folks have discovered are common items that go bad. Only thing I see missing are front end bushings.

In other words, nobody has seen a tendency for the stock tranny to blow at 145k, or head gaskets at 80k (like so many compact late 80's early 90's fords).

both of my PT's are post timing belt now.
My wifes has 117k and has bushings x2 (this time I'm goiing aftermarket urethanes!), and now a wheel bearing. I thought it was fairly good.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 02:24 pm
Young Cruiser

At 80k I had my timing belt, water pump, idler and tentchen pulleys replaced. The mechanic did it at home charge me $200.00 (I gave him $225), said he took the compressor loose with out disconnecting the lines. Parts cost me $213 for Delco belt, pulleys , water pump, upper and lower radiator hoses, plus heater hoses. Job took 4hrs.