Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
OMG So Confused about 06 Key Fob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jan 2011, 06:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default OMG So Confused about 06 Key Fob

I have a 2006 Pt Cruiser Touring with only a single gray programmed key to start the car. I want to get a keyless entry remote and so, bought a button style remote from Ebay. They said it would work with an 06. But then I see that most of the key/remote entry units are all-in-ones.

Can a separate key and fob be programmed to work?

I will be paying a locksmith to program whatever I finally do purchase, so I want to figure out exactly what's going on.

Thanks.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 10:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: OMG So Confused about 06 Key Fob

The locksmith will know if it will work or not.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 15 Jan 2011, 10:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Actually, it was the locksmith who told me that he wasn't sure. I bought a key fob off Ebay and the auction listed it as working with a 2006. I asked the Ebay seller again and he said it would work.

Are there any 06 owners here who have a separate key fob?
Old 16 Jan 2011, 10:08 am
Senior Cruiser

On our 06' it came with 1 keyfob key and 1 grey key (both worked) but then i noticed if you locked the doors and used the grey key to unlock, the alarm would go off until you inserted the key in the ignition switch.

So i get a used keyfob and a key blank off ebay aswell. Then tried programming it. The 04' method does NOT work for 06' and up. You must get it programmed by locksmith or dealer using a programmer.

Now heres where it gets weird. After taking it back to the carlot (carmax) and explaining the problem about the factory alarm going off, they said the would pay to program a new key. Well i gave the locksmith the key blank (had it cut at walmart and would unlock car) and the used fob (i had taken the fob apart and installed the fresh cut key in it).

He told me , like every other locksmith and dealer, that onced programmed you cannot re-program a fob for another car. Supposedly you can only write to it one time. BUT......i made a mark on the fob i gave him and when he returned it was the same fob. He charged carmax for a new fob/key and was gone before i could ask him about it.

So bottom line is im pretty sure you can use another fob that was programmed for another car but they just dont want or know how to do this instead charging more $$$ for a new one.

If you can find an honest locksmith to actually confirm this or not though would be hard.

It sound like you did what i did. I got the blank key with a blank case for $7, then bought a used key with fob for $6. I figured this would save the $150 for a new one i was quoted. Goodluck and hope this helps.
Old 21 Jan 2011, 06:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Here's what I found out...

Apparently there are some 2006 models that can take the separate key fob and key combo. You have to ask the dealer to run your VIN to find out for certain. My PT was made in May, so I don't know which month was the cutoff for the key switch.

The dealer pulled the VIN for me and I need the all in one key head.

Oh, well... off to Ebay for a key remote head and then to the locksmith. It's still going to be a total of about a hundred dollars compared to over two hundred at the dealership.