PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can I program a key by using the same key twice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2011, 03:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Can I program a key by using the same key twice?

I was just thinking and wondering why you need to have two separate keys to program a third key yourself. How does the car know that they are two different keys?

Has anyone ever tried this method?

[Introduction: the PT uses an anti-theft system where a small radio transponder is built into the head of the keys.] My 2001 PT Cruiser ignition cylinder locked up and caused me to crack my key when trying to start it up. Later the key broke off (not in the cylinder, thank goodness!) The locksmith replaced the cylinder but when he tried to reprogram the new keys, the code wouldn't work. He gave up and left me with the 2 new keys that weren't programmed, and the one old working key. Thanks to this forum I realized I might be able to program the new keys myself, but I needed two keys to proceed. Solution? Tape the head of the old key to the "courtesy key" (a key with no transponder head). The car thinks it is key #1; then used my one working key as Key #2. I then proceeded two program the 2 new blanks and saved around $75 to $100.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 09:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Can I program a key by using the same key twice?

Does anybody know if this works?

I have 1 "dead" key -- the wife's of course and it's her car (2004) -- and 1 good key. The dealer wants $50 to reprogram hers. Her key suffered no accident or damage that we know of, just seemed to quit working.

Alex
Old 17 Jan 2013, 09:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flafishergal View Post
I was just thinking and wondering why you need to have two separate keys to program a third key yourself. How does the car know that they are two different keys?

Has anyone ever tried this method?

[Introduction: the PT uses an anti-theft system where a small radio transponder is built into the head of the keys.] My 2001 PT Cruiser ignition cylinder locked up and caused me to crack my key when trying to start it up. Later the key broke off (not in the cylinder, thank goodness!) The locksmith replaced the cylinder but when he tried to reprogram the new keys, the code wouldn't work. He gave up and left me with the 2 new keys that weren't programmed, and the one old working key. Thanks to this forum I realized I might be able to program the new keys myself, but I needed two keys to proceed. Solution? Tape the head of the old key to the "courtesy key" (a key with no transponder head). The car thinks it is key #1; then used my one working key as Key #2. I then proceeded two program the 2 new blanks and saved around $75 to $100.
That should work. THe plastic part has no knowledge of what metal part it's connected to. The transponder is in the plastic part.

Most people lose a key, or only got one key when they bought it used.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Jan 2013, 09:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

It doesn't seem logical that this would work though. All the posts I've seen, and I think the owners manual, say to use 2 valid keys. The main reason for 2 keys would be because they read differently. Unless the directions were written up to make everyone think 2 keys are need. Maybe somebody has tried the above?
Old 17 Jan 2013, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, it IS logical. There are 2 keys used with the part I quoted - the plastic part of the keys is what is needed for programming.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Jan 2013, 10:26 am
Senior Cruiser

I have read posts where they were successful in using the same key twice. I haven't tried it yet but plan on it soon.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 02:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Yes, it IS logical. There are 2 keys used with the part I quoted - the plastic part of the keys is what is needed for programming.
Just so we understand each other, I have 2 original keys, one works the other has died. Both have the original grey head. I am not trying to program a 3rd key.

So, are you saying that it is possible to program the dead key with one live key using the above method?

I'm concerned that it may "kill" the good key (not sure how), and since I had this car towed to the dealer for nonstarting just 4 days ago, the wife will kill me if I have to do it again because I messed up a good key.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 02:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

try this:

acehardware "clones" keys, ie transfers the data from one key to another. ask them to clone your dead key from your good one.

i'm sure other hardware stores have the same ability in case you don't have an ace nearby. there'll probably charge a fee, but it won't be nearly as hefty as a tow or what the dealer would charge.

Last edited by soyomb; 17 Jan 2013 at 02:17 pm.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The key is not being recognized. So I'm thinking that would be useless to clone that one.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Jan 2013, 03:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

it's worth a shot. if it doesn't work, chances are he won't be charged.