PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2011, 08:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New

Hi all,

Well, I actually bought a new (2010) Classic a few days ago. I hadn't planned on it as I was out car shopping and happened to stop in at the local dealer looking for a Caliber or Journey. The sales person asked me if I've ever considered a PT and, as I had not, he convinced me to drive it. I liked the car and, to make a long story short, I bought it.
After doing some internet searching about the longevity of the PT I came accross a number of consumer complaints. This has give me cause for concern. Anyone care to comment about the long term reliability of the PT Crusier? Is there anything I should watch for?
Thanks.........RICK
Old 17 Jan 2011, 08:22 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: New

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new PT.The PT,as with any other car is only going to be as good as the care that goes into it.If you maintain it as you should it is just as dependable as most other cars on the road.

Last edited by SCBluePT; 17 Jan 2011 at 08:25 pm.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 08:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: New

welcome to the forum pt_rick ,from Virginia
Old 17 Jan 2011, 08:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just drive it and enjoy it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jan 2011, 09:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

Heh I love my pt and i have put it through alot. Including an engine replacement but eh kinda has to do with me taking her airborn.

Grats on your purchase!
Old 17 Jan 2011, 10:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: New

Welcome from OkieLand!
I'm on my third PT - still have 2.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 17 Jan 2011, 11:01 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Welcome from OkieLand!
I'm on my third PT - still have 2.
Also on my 3rd PT and still have 2.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 11:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forums.
Name a car that doesn't have some unhappy owners.
You'll be fine.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Jan 2011, 12:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I collect "stuff'" on the PT's off the internet, and while my wife still had other vehicles, I also collected similar "stuff" on those vehicles. Give an example - Aspen, Pacifica and Navigator, last three I collected info on. Now I'm collecting on the Town and Country, no sense in even speaking on that one, just too many customer complaints.

I keep all the customer complaints, TSB's, recalls, notices, etc., and the PT actually has a lot less than most of the other model's I've collected. The Aspen had only a few, the Pacifica was loaded with complaints, but the worst of all was that Navigator, which I was so glad to get rid of.

So if you're thinking that you've opted into a lemon, it's quite unlikely. Think of it this way, you won't see nearly as many good comments about any vehicle as you will see complaints. 99% of the population will take the time to document a complaint, while maybe 20% will document their satisfaction. All you have to do is wander through these forums to see the issues. Also, you need to compare the volume of complaints to the total volume of vehicles sold, to get a good idea if the number of complaints on the PT are excessive.

However, me being an engineer and all, I'm completely OCD about researching almost anything I purchase, and when I bought my '06 I was looking at 5 different vehicles with a list of very specific criteria. I wanted something small, something fun, had to be a convertible, had to be comfortable (I'm a very big guy), had to have a history of high mileage, had to have a low overall maintenance cost, etc. Out of all the vehicles I was comparing it to at the time (Mini, S2000, Mustang, etc.), the PT blew them all away in two very major items: long lasting/high mileage and comfort. I use my car for business, and even as a convertible I can still carry what I need on the road, and fit my customer in the car! I never expected to also be able to drop a tune in it and run it on both a road course and the drag strip!!!

Now to be perfectly frank and honest, the number of customer complaints have increased pretty dramatically starting in '08. If you test drive say an '05, or maybe an '06 when the body style changed, you'll see very noticeable differences in your model. Me, there are pieces of the pre-2006 models that I'd wished they had kept in the '06, but you can't have everything. I can voice what others have said in passing, that in '08 Chrysler went into huge cost cutting efforts, and it is known that they changed many of their vendors, opting for the cheapest, not the best. The word on the street is that from '08 up, the PT, along with all other Chrysler products, got cheaper each successive year. The number of customer complaints seems to follow that same curve.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 08:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

The only 3 common issues i have seen is
1) lower control arm bushings. These ARE made poorly for the weight of the car and wear out quicker than they should. Replacement poly bushing seem to hold up better but are usually sqeaky over time.

2) Wheel bearings. Some go through them quickly, others do not. Theres some debate on the poor grounds these cars have. There is ground straps connected to the struts, if they get broke or removed seems wheel bearings go out due to static build up and pitting on the ball bearings happen.

3) Running hot. Usually this is due for running wrong antifreeze or not flusing/changing out as one should per manual specs.

Other than that, keep maintentance up and take care of it it is as good as most other cars made.