Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 PT gonging sound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jan 2011, 08:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01 PT gonging sound

My 01 pt has an annoying problem I can't figure out....I get a gonging sound, like the sound you get when a check engine light comes on...I don't get a check engine light, but driving alone it will gong, about every 5 minutes or so...anyone ever had this happen or am I the lucky one?

Another thing thats going on is a cold weather issue....my fuel mileage sucks with outside temps below 40 degrees...I've changed thermostat twice and coolant temp sensor once (water pump was changed as well due to leaking)... the temp guage won't go much above the mark just below half. Any ideas?
Old 18 Jan 2011, 09:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01 PT gonging sound

Welcome to the forum. I take it you have no lights at all with the sound. The PT has several sensors that make a sound when they sense somethings wrong. Turn signal left on too long, rear hatch ajar, seatbelt not buckled up. Take a careful look all around to make sure there's no light telling you why it's chiming at you.

When the weather turned cold, the gas companies switched over to a different blend. Everybody, weather they know it or not, experienced a drop in fuel mileage. That could be what your noticing. The temp guage should stay below half, mine always does unless your talking down at the 1/4 mark.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 09:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm not getting any lights with the chiming sound. I'll check the seat belts and hatch tomorrow.

I know that winter gas is formulated different than summer gas, but my gas mileage changes literally with the outside temp...if I'm in 45 degree temps and above I get 23-24 mpg...when the temp drops to 40-30-20 degrees my mileage drops drastically...17-18 mpg... I drive 110 miles a day to work and keep a close check on mileage. Last week temps here were in the low 20's..I got 17mpg...so far this week temps are in the high 40's I'm getting 22mpg... I'm hoping to fix this old gal, she's been a good one 216,000 miles on the clock and still not using or losing any oil.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 10:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, you could always move down here. It was 68 today and going into the the lower 70's the next couple of days.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jan 2011, 10:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

LOL Florida, I've looked at jobs down there, and considered it...I'm a helicopter mechanic, and my company has several helicopters based there. Been looking at Stuart, FL....Thanks for the advice....
Old 18 Jan 2011, 11:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Well, you could always move down here. It was 68 today and going into the the lower 70's the next couple of days.

You suck!! to be 17 BELOW on Thursday!!!!

What we know:
The vehicle's not warming up. The CTS is reporting this to the PCM.
The PCM adds fuel, it may not be going into closed loop.
The overheat chime is also sounding.

I'd inspect the thermostat carefully, see if debris is holding it open, it doesn't take much.
The leading cause is silicone sealer, added by exuberant mechanic. Other things, as odd
as the heater core slowly failing can contribute. You'd never know, until you pull it apart.
No external leaks:

Why the overheat chime is sounding, I have no idea.

Shutter the radiator, use the heater to regulate engine temp, see if that helps mileage.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 09:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thermostat is clear, installed it myself without silicone...heater core was replaced last year with chrysler part...I noticed today that the chime happens when the temp drops to the line just below the half mark as I'm driving at my usual 60 mph. Temps today were low 30's. Gas mileage 18mpg. LOL if I could find the damned chime I'd silence it with my glock...
Old 20 Jan 2011, 03:11 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copterdoc View Post
heater core was replaced last year with chrysler part...
Some poor b******
Old 20 Jan 2011, 06:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you do the key dance and check for codes?
Sure your check engine light works?
Have you replaced your multifunction switch? I'm thinking switch is faulty, and chime is that directional is on (even if it isn't) - that make sense?
You get decent heat when it's cold?
If engine truly isn't warming up, try a peice of cardboard in front of radiator - I did it with my '02 PT during a nasty cold spell because I wasn't getting enough heat - it worked.
Yeah, my gas mileage goes down in winter, but only by about 2-3 MPG.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Jan 2011, 07:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Key dance shows nothing...light works because I got one the other day for mis-fires, plug wires were shot. Got good heat. Multi-function switch is a possiblity, fog lights don't work, bulbs good, fuse is good...it has ton's of miles and use on it.