PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fuel Economy Question - '06 2.4 w/turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jan 2011, 07:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Fuel Economy Question - '06 2.4 w/turbo

Hello All,

Joined today to solicit some help in seeing if there's some way(s) to improve the mileage on my wife's 2006 2.4L Turbo Touring Convertible. We've had it for 4 years. Purchased in '07 with 9,000 miles. Just turned 60,000. I drive it very little, but we did took it on a 2,000 mile jaunt over Thanksgiving. We have the on-board data center and I was very surprised (and disappointed) to see that we were only getting about 19 mpg on the Interstate, doing between 70 -73 mph. I also checked the city number (gassed up the morning after arriving in Minneapolis and drove around town for 6 days). City driving showed only getting average of 15.8 mpg. Highway back to Louisville revealed an average of 3 fuel legs to be but 18.7 mpg, again cruising (on cruise control for a good portion of the time) at 70 to 73/4 mph. Everything I've read says we should enjoy about 18-20 City and 24 - 26 Highway. Car runs fine, good power, etc. I run regular gas in it (87 Octane - No Ethanol) and use 5W-30 Valvoline oil (No Syns) in it (changed religiously every 3000 miles). I haven't pulled a plug yet to look at them, but will (when it warms up). I've noticed on this site where a lot of folks advocate upgrading the plug wires. Is that really necessary? Does everyone recommend OEM spec plugs be used? Any thoughts anyone can share with me is sincerely appreciated.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 07:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel Economy Question - '06 2.4 w/turbo

The only people that might recommend the OEM spec plugs don't know any better. Almost anything is better than stock.

If you look through the forum, there's dozens of owners complaining about fuel mileage. The PT is aerodynamically shaped like a brick, having to push air aside to get anywhere = poor fuel economy.

We've talked about this several times. A couple extra pounds of air in the tires, less weight in the car, less top speed and a light foot. All help. Synthetic might gain you a mpg, but is it worth the extra money ...YES, especially since your running a turbo. You should have had synthetic from the beginning.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 09:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

if you compare your numbers to other pt cuisers with turbo on fuelly.com, they have the same mileage; in fact, most turbo's there are 2.0liters, not 2.4liter (if I'm correct here).

The 26-28mpg you want to get is for the non turbo's,
I only get 21mpg mainly city(although lately in winter I managed to put the pedal to the metal a few times, and you can see the mpg go down lots!); my best has been 26mpg, when driving on okeechobee road (a good 30 minutes to and 30 back on highway);I have a non turbo.
Though that also is part because my thermostat broke.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 11:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have the exact same model....2006 Touring Turbo/convertible. Here in Dallas, I get roughly 17 city, 20 highway. I've done road trips to San Antonio/New York and have got 24 at best. Just changed plugs/wires (hell of a job!) runs better, I'll see if the MPG gets better... I doubt it will.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 12:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i have said this a thoushand times my 06 non turbo runs on the interstate every day almost 200 per day it will get 21 +/- 2 IF i run under 65 on the highway i will get the best mpg I have never gotten over 23 like cruzed said itsl like pushing a brick and to answer the question of the plufg wires they are crap from the factory some have even changed them with under 5000 miles so air up your tires drive a tad slower make sure there is no junk in the trunk and have fun
Old 15 Feb 2011, 01:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The only people that might recommend the OEM spec plugs don't know any better. Almost anything is better than stock.
Sure glad I don't know any better. Let's see. 350hp, high 12's in the 1/4 mile, runs like a runaway freight train, oh yeah, I'm using stock, OEM copper plus plugs in my turbo. The turbo models run fantastic on the OEM plugs. Don't fall for the irridium plug garbage. They are overly priced plugs that aren't any better performancewise than the OEM plugs. Never use platinum plugs in a turbo. The other things CREWZIN said I agree with. Really not anything else you can do for better mpg.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 01:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

i could be wrong, but i think crewzin meant plug wires.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
Hello All,

Joined today to solicit some help in seeing if there's some way(s) to improve the mileage on my wife's 2006 2.4L Turbo Touring Convertible. We've had it for 4 years. Purchased in '07 with 9,000 miles. Just turned 60,000. I drive it very little, but we did took it on a 2,000 mile jaunt over Thanksgiving. We have the on-board data center and I was very surprised (and disappointed) to see that we were only getting about 19 mpg on the Interstate, doing between 70 -73 mph. I also checked the city number (gassed up the morning after arriving in Minneapolis and drove around town for 6 days). City driving showed only getting average of 15.8 mpg. Highway back to Louisville revealed an average of 3 fuel legs to be but 18.7 mpg, again cruising (on cruise control for a good portion of the time) at 70 to 73/4 mph. Everything I've read says we should enjoy about 18-20 City and 24 - 26 Highway. Car runs fine, good power, etc. I run regular gas in it (87 Octane - No Ethanol) and use 5W-30 Valvoline oil (No Syns) in it (changed religiously every 3000 miles). I haven't pulled a plug yet to look at them, but will (when it warms up). I've noticed on this site where a lot of folks advocate upgrading the plug wires. Is that really necessary? Does everyone recommend OEM spec plugs be used? Any thoughts anyone can share with me is sincerely appreciated.
Use synthetic oil - the turbo can cause dino oil to char and that'll ruin bearings.
Stock ignition wires are crap.
Cold weather (winter) costs me at leat 2 MPG vs summer for the same commute.
Check the air pressure in your tires - I go 2-3 PSI abouve what the door sticker says.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Feb 2011, 09:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Fuel Economy Question - '06 2.4 w/turbo

Welcome!
Plugs & wires from Maggie at Raceand Street.com.
"Open up the breathing" - mod air box or get aftermarket air intake system like AirRaid.
Soonercruiser is a standard tranny and na - can get near 30mpg highway (if I stay around 65mph)
The GT turbo, auto tranny vert only got around 24 mpg, downwind!

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 16 Feb 2011, 09:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
The 26-28mpg you want to get is for the non turbo's,
No friggin way. I've found the turbo gets better mileage somehow.

Wife has a 2001 non-turbo
I've got the 2004 turbo lite.

She gets 16-19
I get 19-21

Granted she has a lead foot in that thing, but we traded for like 3 months and it (the mileage) stayed with the car.