PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Belt line trim question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2011, 10:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Belt line trim question.

Ok so i want to do Eve's belt line. I'm just wondering what to i get for that. do i use door trim but cut it in half, or do i find like some really small molding? can some one help me with THIS PLEEEEEEEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE. lol just kidding, but seriously, how do i do the belt line?
Old 22 Jan 2011, 11:03 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Belt line trim question.

I'm sure the kits have changed over the years but when I had my 2001 PT several years ago I ordered a kit off of ebay.It turned out being a roll of trim just like the stuff you get at the parts store.I had to cut it for all of the panels but it still turned out nice.I know they make the precut kits now but from what I understand you still have to do some trimming.If that's the case you may as well save yourself some money and buy a roll of 1/4" trim at the parts store.I will be doing this to mine in the near future.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 11:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Any one of the after market PT Cruiser vendors will have the beltline trim. Some even have it pre-cut. Check out the exterior parts at www.Raceandstreet.com or any of the other vendors.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 22 Jan 2011 at 11:28 pm.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 11:23 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Here's a link to the set at Race and Street.
PT Cruiser Chrome Belt Line -Auto-Tech : Race and Street
and ebay
2001-2010 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER CHROME BELTLINE SET WRNTY - eBay (item 310289602905 end time Jan-27-11 00:08:59 PST)
Old 22 Jan 2011, 11:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

I bought the one off ebay and I'm very happy with how it turned out. Some trimming was necessary however. I decided to go with it rather than the more expensive one from the PT vendors. My first mod was the chrome grill trim from PTWoody which I got from a vendor it set me back 75 dollars or so. It lasted all of 18 months before it started to peel off. The second was the chrome fender spears which I got from the ebay guy and I paid 12 dollars , they're still going strong. I'm real big on prep so I know that wasn't the reason. Just letting you know my experience regarding high priced versus cheap. I think I've got some pics up of my cruiser after the belt line trim install.

Karen and Lil' Nilla
Old 22 Jan 2011, 11:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

hey thanx guys i really appreciate it. but since i'm a cheap ass, i'll proly just get the 1/4 molding. i already have like 20ft of the U-trim for the doors, so i can use that for the hood. but then again, the ebay link was pretty cool, and cheap too.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 11:57 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkid1983 View Post
hey thanx guys i really appreciate it. but since i'm a cheap ass, i'll proly just get the 1/4 molding. i already have like 20ft of the U-trim for the doors, so i can use that for the hood. but then again, the ebay link was pretty cool, and cheap too.
If your talking about the trim that wraps around the edge of the doors it wont line up with the trim on the rest of the car.If you slip it over the lower edge of the hood it will be a little lower than the beltline.Also,when I installed the beltline on my first PT I used silver touchup paint on the ends where I trimmed it to give it a more finished look.Just an idea if you go that route.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 12:24 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintzgirl View Post
I bought the one off ebay and I'm very happy with how it turned out. Some trimming was necessary however. I decided to go with it rather than the more expensive one from the PT vendors. My first mod was the chrome grill trim from PTWoody which I got from a vendor it set me back 75 dollars or so. It lasted all of 18 months before it started to peel off. The second was the chrome fender spears which I got from the ebay guy and I paid 12 dollars , they're still going strong. I'm real big on prep so I know that wasn't the reason. Just letting you know my experience regarding high priced versus cheap. I think I've got some pics up of my cruiser after the belt line trim install.
i think it was you that had said that you did your own belt line trim, so i was thinking of doing it myself. but the spears for 12 bucks, damn i wish i could find'em that cheap
Old 23 Jan 2011, 12:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBluePT View Post
If your talking about the trim that wraps around the edge of the doors it wont line up with the trim on the rest of the car.If you slip it over the lower edge of the hood it will be a little lower than the beltline.Also,when I installed the beltline on my first PT I used silver touchup paint on the ends where I trimmed it to give it a more finished look.Just an idea if you go that route.
nice tip, thanx. i'll keep that in mind. so i guess i'll just settle for the true belt line trim. i don't want it looking stupid.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 02:15 am
Veteran Cruiser

ok so now i gotta a question about the spears. The chrome spears look complete and not just like covers that go over the original spear. if that's true, is it hard to take the spears off, or is it just on there like with 3m tape? cuz if i don't have to unscrew anything for them i think it's cheaper if i use a chrome wrap. you know what i mean?