Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New here and need some help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 2011, 08:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New here and need some help.

So my fiance has owned her PT for a couple years now and we ran into some issues hence why Im here.

Here is my story: Last Friday I was in the Vibe on the way to work. We have had this car for only 2 weeks. About 20min into the drive, the rear window explodes in towards me. So I had to turn around and take the car home. When I get home my lovely fiance gives me the keys to her car and tells me to go to work. I takeher PT and drive my hour to work. I am about 5 min from the office when I change lanes. As I change lanes I hit some slush on the road and the car comes around. I tried to save it, causing it back the other way. Back and forth about 4-5 times, and then I touched the shoulder with some ice. I tried my hardest but I just couldnt save it. Smash! Into the guard rail. I spun into the rail and crushed the front and rear quarter pannels. I see the front bumper fly across the street in the air and yell F**K. I get the car off the road and give an officer the info for the report and end up driving the car off the interstate. Left tyrods are broke and the car is hard to drive. SO I park it and wait for the tow truck. The truck takes it to a shop where they say there is nothing they can do and say the car is totaled. Then they offer to give us $500 for the car. I just put a new Flex Pipe and Cat in it which cost as much as they offered. If we don't take the deal its $25 a day at the shop for storage. So I had it towed to my work. I am $140 into a car without a single part repaired.

Anyways, I am going to try to repair this car when the weather breaks and my question is: What computer is this? Is a used one going to work? Any ideas what I should focus on first to fix this ?

Old 24 Jan 2011, 09:13 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: New here and need some help.

Welcome to the forum.Sorry to see you wrecked your car.I must be missing something in your post because you ask about the computer.Did the accident damage the computer?Also,did the shop offer you $500 or was it the insurance company?

Last edited by SCBluePT; 24 Jan 2011 at 09:23 pm.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 09:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The shop offered $500. Insurence was only Liability, so insurence is a nadda. The part thats circled is the computer I am asking about. Some of the wires are damaged and the module is a little bent so I am guessing it needs to be replaced.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 10:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm not sure what that part inside the circle is, but is sure isn't the computer. You indicated that you drove the car off the interstate. You wouldn't have been able to do that if the computer had been ruined. Anyway, the Engine Control Module, or ECM, most often called the computer, is on the firewall, next to the brake master cylinder.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 10:56 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think the part inside the circle is the airbag sensor.I would get that from the salvage yard as it will be expensive at the dealer.

Last edited by SCBluePT; 24 Jan 2011 at 11:01 pm.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 11:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Wow you weren't having a good car day were you, well glad your OK. By the time you replace and or fix the body parts and paint the car you may be better off buying her another PT. Or at least giving her the down payment for a new car. Unless that PT is real low miles and worth putting a couple of grand into.

Good luck

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 24 Jan 2011, 11:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to XmasDVD

If it is the airbag sensor --> HOW TO REPLACE THE AIRBAG SENSOR

** CHECK OUT MY PT GALLERY **
Old 25 Jan 2011, 01:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Tell you this - DON'T sell that bugger for $500 unless you're going to sell it to me! You can part that car out and get at least double that!!! Suspensions still okay. ECM is good, Engine is probably good, you got all kinds of goodies there to part out. I could spend days pulling pieces off that to sell, and there are lots of buyers looking for used parts in good condition!
Old 25 Jan 2011, 01:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

The circled part is the transmission control module. The car is an automatic transmission, correct?
From the PT Cruiser shop manual:
"DESCRIPTION
The Transmission Control Module (TCM) is located
behind the left fender and is fastened to the left
frame rail forward of the suspension (Fig. 26). It
mounts on a bracket that is fastened to the rail."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoAce51 View Post
The shop offered $500. Insurence was only Liability, so insurence is a nadda. The part thats circled is the computer I am asking about. Some of the wires are damaged and the module is a little bent so I am guessing it needs to be replaced.
Old 25 Jan 2011, 01:23 am
Veteran Cruiser

You could slap some parts on it and drive it.
Repairing that correctly is going to be expensive,
Fender isn't much, neither is bumper cover, tie rod and headlight/taillight.
Someone might be able to bump out the door but R&R quarter panel on most vehicles SUCK! Looks like the hatch got some, too.
Dunno about computer.

Heckofa weight on the back wheel- I'd suggest getting premium snow tires in a narrower size next time.

I don't blame them a bit for offering $500. Bought mine for lot less and I wonder.