Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
After market intercooler blocking oil sensor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jan 2011, 02:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default After market intercooler blocking oil sensor

I am getting the common problem with my 04 pt cruiser that the oil sending unit has gone bad. Every time I come to a stop, it dings. I bought the part and went to replace it and I could not find it to save my life. Finally I gave up and took it to the garage to get an oil change and have them replace the sensor. They said it should only take about 30 min. At this point I feel like an idiot that I cannot find it myself. After an hour, they come back and say it is going to be 2 hours labor to replace the sensor. It is being blocked by an aftermarket power steering intercooler. I bought the car used, so I did not add this part. Has anyone heard of this? This garage is usally very reliable, and just wanted to see if anyone else has ever come across this.

Thanks
Old 26 Jan 2011, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: After market intercooler blocking oil sensor

First, I hope you bought a OEM part as our PT's do NOT like aftermarket sensors.
Second, welcome to the forum. Good luck on the replacement.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Sep 2011, 10:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default oil sensor

I have 2004 GT and the oil light just started doing the same thing, but only at a stop. I don't have alot of money for a garage so I'll be researching how to replace it myself. Did you by chance find out?

Also having some electrical issues I think, my LCD display for my radio goes off and you cant see anything as well as My back Windows not wanting to go up or down. Any Ideas there
Old 16 Sep 2011, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by calabris View Post
I am getting the common problem with my 04 pt cruiser that the oil sending unit has gone bad. Every time I come to a stop, it dings. I bought the part and went to replace it and I could not find it to save my life. Finally I gave up and took it to the garage to get an oil change and have them replace the sensor. They said it should only take about 30 min. At this point I feel like an idiot that I cannot find it myself. After an hour, they come back and say it is going to be 2 hours labor to replace the sensor. It is being blocked by an aftermarket power steering intercooler. I bought the car used, so I did not add this part. Has anyone heard of this? This garage is usally very reliable, and just wanted to see if anyone else has ever come across this.

Thanks
The cooler for the steering is not aftermarket. Next time you need to find a piece, drop me a note and I'll pull it from the OEM service manual or the parts catalogs. If you want the parts catalogs, I have through 2009 available, free for all forum members.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 05:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You should probably take a look at the steering cooler to see if it resembles the factory one. It is possible someone changed it out for something else. In mine it doesn't block the oil sensor at all.

Here's the diagram on it from the OEM service manual.

Tags
aftermarket, intercooler, oil pressure