Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT cruiser only has front brakes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jan 2011, 01:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default PT cruiser only has front brakes?

I went to the car mechanic, and he told me it's time to change the brakes.
The guy before me used metallic brakes, and seemingly they have created a small pattern on the disc.
The guy in the garage says they can't fix the discs anymore, and want to change the disc and brakepads.

A friend of mine said I don't need to change the discs, just the braking pads.

It's all costing me money I actually don't want to spend, and now I wonder,
Does the PT Cruiser only have 2 front disc brakes?, (as it seems the back drum brakes are for the parking / hand brake).

The parking brake feels ok, but I fear that I'd have to change the rear wheel brake pads too if the front ones are worn out.
Problem is I can't see without opening the drum.

Your thoughts?
Old 28 Jan 2011, 01:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: PT cruiser only has front brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I went to the car mechanic, and he told me it's time to change the brakes.
The guy before me used metallic brakes, and seemingly they have created a small pattern on the disc.
The guy in the garage says they can't fix the discs anymore, and want to change the disc and brakepads.

A friend of mine said I don't need to change the discs, just the braking pads.

It's all costing me money I actually don't want to spend, and now I wonder,
Does the PT Cruiser only have 2 front disc brakes?, (as it seems the back drum brakes are for the parking / hand brake).

The parking brake feels ok, but I fear that I'd have to change the rear wheel brake pads too if the front ones are worn out.
Problem is I can't see without opening the drum.

Your thoughts?

You dont have to change the discs but it wont have full stopping power and the pedal could feel weird i would change rotors also if it was me there cheap enough.
i would also check the rear brake shoes because they do stopping to just not as much as the front but you still use them.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Autoshift
1986 Toyota Pickup 4x4
1989 Honda Hatch Si
2003 Polaris Predator 500
2001 Yamaha YZF R6
Old 28 Jan 2011, 02:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I understand 80% front and 20% rear brakes do the stopping.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Jan 2011, 02:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the pads and rotors are original, you might get away with changing only the pads but the next time the rotors would HAVE to be changed. The rotors are cheap material and it's possible (like mine) that the front rotors wore enough at the first pad change that the rotors couldn't be tuned down so new pads and rotors were needed. As Hooligan pointed out, the rear shoes aren't used half as much as the front pads and my shoes lasted 100,000 before I had to have them changed.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Jan 2011, 04:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The rear drum shoes (not pads) can last through several front brake changes. They are easy to check. Change the front rotors as they are not that expensive. We are dealing with brakes here, you know, the things that stop your car from crashing into things so don't be cheap. With the engravings in the factory rotors it goes to show you how cheap they really are when you use good pads (metallic).
Old 28 Jan 2011, 05:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

front pads shouldn't be that expensive and the rotors are about $50 each so the entire front brakes is still pretty cheap the pads and rotors are under $150 not sure what your labor is but for around $2ish isn't it worth knowing you can stop

and if your shop is charging way more call a auto parts store price the rotors and pads and then tell the shop i want to supply my own parts they wont like ti btu it will save you some cash
Old 28 Jan 2011, 06:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

i remember years ago when i had my Neon. i wore the pads down to the metal and they really messed up my rotors. but when i put the new pads on it stopped fine. the one thing i remember from that is when i would step on the brake the dust coming from the pads was intense. it was the pads forming to the rotor. i wont ever go through that again. i would suggest changing the rotors too and getting some ceramic pads at that. it might be costly right now, but you'll be better in the long run.
Old 28 Jan 2011, 06:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

so true the rotors will eat a new set of pads away if they are reallly rough metal is always harder than the break pads
Old 28 Jan 2011, 08:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Can't the original rotors be turned? That would smooth them so they wouldn't carve into your new pads. If the rotors are too shot--or if they measure too thin--then definitely change the pads and rotors.

The most important thing on your PT--as with all cars--is the brakes. Anyone can get the car to go--you can even push it a while without the engine installed; but stopping the thing when you want it to stop is just a no-brainer.

By the way, your rear brakes might need replacement only once in the lifetime of most cars.

Tim
Old 28 Jan 2011, 10:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

yes you can turn them but it is kind of my experience that the originals are kinds thin and pretty soft so they are already not the best when they are new and like said a new rotor for a stock PT is like $43 at Oriley